• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 disc brake conversion

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for some opinions on the disc conversion I'm about to do from those who have already done this. The D44 is out of an 86 wagoneer, no ABS. I'm putting it under a 92' limited without ABS. From everything I've read, I have 3 options, Explorer, Crown Vic, or ZJ. I would like to buy all the parts new instead of from the JY, except for the backing plates. Unless I can get them new as well. Which is the easiest? I know some modification will be necessary. The axle is on the workbench, not under the jeep, so I have plenty of time to do the brakes right while I'm doing the gears.
I could buy a kit, but I like doing it myself.

When I was looking for parts to do my conversion on my 8.25 (LINK) I saw plenty of nice explorer brakes! It was kinda frustrating actually... Oh look another explorer with brand new brakes on the back, nice. To bad there's not a ZJ within miles...

Had I been looking to upgrade a 44 instead of the 8.25 it probably would have been the other way around. :rolleyes:

I put the ZJ disc brakes on my 44, easy swap. I used JY parts. Keep the backing plates and use the calipers for cores.

what year zj? did you snag everything from the jy? is there any mods? I was thinking of doing exactly that. grabbing the backing plates, calipers and prop valve from the jy and then getting new calipers, rotors and brake lines from NAPA. I got an auto tranny, the the e-brake is not important right now. will this mod work with stock wheels?

Back