• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual use GPS's

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
Several years ago, I had a Garmin eTrex Legand. I really liked it and used it alot for Geocaching. Then, fuel prices skyrocketed and I needed some cash in my pocket so........I sold it.

Now, I'd like to have another GPS unit. I really like the idea of a dual use GPS. One with which I can use it in the XJ for on road navigation and then once I get to my destination, I can use it as a handheld. I've been out of the GPS world for a while so I don't really know what's out there now. Thought I'd see what you guys are using and how you like them.

I think I'm leaning toward a Magellan Crossover. I think that they've came out with a newer model but it's called something else.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I think I'm leaning toward a Magellan Crossover.

As a former Crossover user, I would highly recommend you look for something else. On the highways it works fine (except for the fact that the maps can be outdated in areas, and support from Magellan on the Crossover is none....they promised updated maps when it first came out, and have not delivered....they pretty much abandoned that unit now, too). On the trails is where it really sucks......constantly freezing up and not keeping complete tracks.

They also use their own track and waypoint files which are not a standard, so conversions to use tracks and waypoints from the device are a pain in the ass.....so are uploading those to the device.

I currently use a Garmin Oregon, which works very well for me. I only use it for trails, hiking, geocaching, etc.....not auto-routing. I will be buying a new auto unit eventually, as I haven't found a good dual-purpose GPS that meets all my needs.

Oh, well.....I'm glad I asked then! After reading your old posts on the subject, you're the reason I was leaning toward a Crossover. Thanks for the advice!

Go with the Garmin 60CSx. Mines been bombproof for a few years now. Autorouting POI, tracking routes, you name it. I use mine for hiking, geocaching, 4 wheeling, out of town use to find POI and phone numbers.

I've used it in Central and South America, and Europe with good success.

Reviving an old thread here...

I've been looking for something similar that is going to live in my Jeep(s) as a nav. system but I want to be able to use it for wheeling and be able to save way-points and possibly enter my own coordinates...I want to be able to punch in an address and it give road directions to my destination, but yet not have a problem when I'm out on the trail trying to get to a saved obstical or camp.

An eTrex will hit your wallet the lightest. Mine is good for all of what you asked for, but you will have to buy the road maps. The screen is small and it's made for outdoors hiking, but you get what you pay for.

Anything after that is going to be expensive.

I bought a hybrid Garmin Nuvi 500 since it does topo and highway, and find that I am still preferring my old Garmin E Trex Legend CX for off road. The hybrid Nuvi is not bad off road with the 24K topo map scale, but it simply does not point the way like the handheld Legend does! I am hoping to pick up a 60csx soon.

I am looking for a dual use GPS too, I think. I want something that will give me directions in the car and also be able to work off-road to map trails or load my own trails.

I know that we use GPS units at my school to aid in map making for GIS classes, I should probably figure out what types are used and how practical they are.

-Alex

I am looking for a dual use GPS too, I think. I want something that will give me directions in the car and also be able to work off-road to map trails or load my own trails.

I know that we use GPS units at my school to aid in map making for GIS classes, I should probably figure out what types are used and how practical they are.

-Alex

I got a 60CSX, haven't had to use it yet, but it fits your needs nicely.

As a current Crossover user, I agree with IntrepidXJ, good on road nav (though no updates to map) and up until our last trip, the offroad topos were okay and did show a lot of trails I would not have thought it would have. This last trip we had it lock up 6 times so I knew it was time to find something else.

After some research and not really finding anything like the Crossover, I am going with a Garmin 755T and uploading topo maps myself, from site available. This will give me the closest Crossover like function but will not be 100%.

It really pi$$ed me off that there was no support for the Crossover as I think overall the idea was right. It just needed some more tweaks and development but Magellan got bought out recently so, so much for that.

I am happy (though I haven't gotten it yet) with the ability to add an external antenna so I can mount the unit without a clear view of the sky but still get signal. I'll post up more info once I get mine.

BTW, Costco has them on sale for $200.

I agree that the garmin 60csx is an awesome unit, and one I would probably buy if money were no issue. I, however went with a magellan explorist 500 because it was waayyy cheaper and on various geocaching sites on a side to side comparison with people caching the same cache with both units there was no difference in accuracy. I used to use it for highway use but since the nuvi's were so cheap I have that for that purpose. I love it, never looked back.

I agree that the garmin 60csx is an awesome unit, and one I would probably buy if money were no issue.

I'll second this. I've had one for three or four years now and really like it. Dig around and you can get them for under $300. Budget for at least a 2GB (and preferably 4GB) MicroSD card if you're going to load it up with maps.

On-road, it's not the world's greatest sat-nav system but it works well enough. It'd be nice if it could do voice prompts (the beeps work well enough, though) and it's a little slow to recalculate if you overshoot a turn or exit. Having said that, for combined trail / road use, I haven't found anything else that's sufficiently better to make me consider replacing it.

Oh, and one big point in its favour: dropping it 20 feet onto boulders while geocaching out in the desert caused zero damage to the unit other than a small scuff on the battery case. I don't know if I just got lucky or not, but that alone made me happy.

Back