• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slight Metallic Grinding Noise ???????

shaddady34

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 2000 4wd XJ Sport. While driving in 2wd i hear a slight metallic grinding noise. It is very hard to hear but sounds like it is coming from the front of the jeep. The noise is there only after i reach 25 mph or more and goes away when i slow down below about 25. When i put it in neutral and keep it rolling at 30mph or so the sound is still there. i would appreciate if anybody has any ideas as to what it could be thanks alottt

Id start off by pulling the diff cover, and checking out the gears, bearings, and such. If the gear oil has a metallic shine to it, you may need new carrier/pinion bearings. Take a good look at the spider gears too, for pitting or chipping, as well as the ring gear.

Possibly brakes dragging? Does it go away when you are on the brakes at that speed?

no when i press the brakes the noise still is there. could this be one of the front u joints or wheel bearings?? does anyone recognize this problem?

Back