• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best 6" coils?

I run the RE 4.5" ZJ coils and get just over 5.5" off of them on my XJ. They arent the softest spring I've ever run, but they are the smoothest offroad. Combine those with some soft valved bilstiens and you should be good..

I personally am a fan of the 6" skyjacker coils. I like a stronger spring though myself. I run the RE3.5" spring with a 2" spacer cuz they are stiffer than the 4.5".

the coil used for 4.5 RE in a ZJ or the exact same coil as they sell as 5.5 RE in an XJ. At least they were, I looked up part numbers for the coils they sell in the kits direct from Rubicon Express and they are/were the same part number as of 6 months ago.

barillms said:
Not what I'm asking. 6 inch.

i run 7.5 RE coils and since they are made for a TJ, they settled down to 6" with a winch bumper. thats what i meant, i should have been more specific

My RE 4.5 ZJ/5.5 XJ springs gave me 6 3/4" lift up front from where I was stock. But with 200,000 miles, they may have been sagged. Seem to do the job for me, but never tried other brands.

The RE ones I ran were way too soft, I lost a good 1 - 1.5" when I put the winch up front, and it really made the nose dive under braking. Went with some Rock Krawler coils and have no complaints. They are 6.5" coils and the spring rate is a bit stiffer than the RE, but nothing stiff enough to make the ride bad.

barillms said:
Looking to buy some 6" new coils, which ones are softest and flex best.
Not worried about road worthyness. I want a soft off road ride.

I don't know how you're really going to get an accurate answer to your question unless you have one person who's run all of the different companies coils in the exact terrain you're going to be driving in (which you've failed to mention). As you've already noticed by the previous replies, you'll get a different answer from different people.

Seems by your last post you already know what you don't want - and really the only way you're going to know what you really want is by buying a set, running them, and deciding if they're what you're after. If not, sell them and try someone else's coils.

I'm running Full Tractions 6" coils crawling through rocks. Seem soft and flexy to me, but that's not difficult to accomplish with other companies coils as well when crawling through rocks with proper suspension geometry.

Back