• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 cheroke died suddenly

IROCthe4.0

NAXJA Forum User
Today while driving on the highway my 00 cherokee 4.0 dies out of nowhere. Gave a little sputter, lost power and stalled. On the side of the highway it would start and idle fine bu once I gave it throttle it would sputter and die. I replaced the CKS and the CMS and now it will not start at all, just crank. I check pressure at the fuel rail and continuity on the coils, alls good. It cranks very fast but won't fire. Could this be a possible bad PCM? I'm at a loss here as it seems to crank fine. Any help would be really great

You have continuity at the coils, but do you have spark?

How much fuel pressure? Before replacing the crank and cam sensors it sounded a little like fuel starvation.

Recheck your connection to the Cam Position Sensor inside the distributor...
IF the PCM does not receive a signal from this sensor; it will not know when to fire the coils nor when to pulse the fuel injectors....

As for the original problem...; verify the 5VDC reference voltage to the Throttle Position sensor and the voltage coming from the sensor going to the PCM. The IAC will allow the engine to idle, but the TPS lets the PCM know when the throttle plate opens to provide more gas....

Last edited:
You have continuity at the coils, but do you have spark?

How much fuel pressure? Before replacing the crank and cam sensors it sounded a little like fuel starvation.
With an 00, it's tougher to determine spark, as we've got coil-on-plug ignition.

Threadstarter: Any chance you could find someone with an OBD2 code reader? I'd imagine with all the electo-gizmometry on the newer Jeeps, the compy would be able to tell you what's wrong. :rolleyes:

Edit: Also to note... the guy I bought my 00 XJ from last month experienced the same problem with it a couple months back. The Jeep would crank, but not start. He ended up having it towed to the dealership, where they replaced the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor (to the tune of $600 altogether), to get it running again.

But since you indicate you've done this already (if I've got my acronymns correct ;) ), I'm at a loss.

Last edited:
I have an OBD2 scanner. I put it on an threw a code for all three coils. I checked continuity on the coils and it is 0 like the shop manual says. So I figured Id replace the cam position sensor and the coils. No dice. That just made the truck not want to start at all, just crank. My next move was to the crank position sensor, replaced it cause I wasnt sure if i was testing it correctly. Still nothin, just cranks. Soooooo where does that leave me. Possible TPS or could it be the PCM? Im really not sure where to go next. I looked into checking for spark and it looks like a MOFO on these coil on plug motors.

Swap around relays in the PDC. This should help verify that the ASD and fuel pump relays are working. Make sure the CPS/CKP wires are not burned by the manifold or rubbing on the fuel rail and shorting.

There have been a few cases of the CPS/CKP and the ECU/PCM failing at the same time. IDK if the CPS/CKP blows the ECU or exactly what causes it. One of the guys in our club had a dead Cherokee with cranking and no-start. It was a failed CPS that was replaced by a repair shop. It died again about 4 miles from the shop. The ECU was toasted and required replacement.

Continue testing and trouble shooting, all the sensors can be tested. Only the ECU cannot.

OK good to know. I swapped the fueses, fuel pump still primes, Im assuming the relays are good. Checked all sensors and im getting 5volts. I managed to get it started by giving it gas while cranking. It took a few seconds but eventually ran on its own. It would not idle, if i took my foot off the gas it died. I tried to restart and it sputtered some and popped, like a backfire, through the intake.

Might try the "Reset"- Disconnect both Battery cables, hold together 30 seconds, then reconnect to battery and retest.

(Jeeps 'Mark their territory' and get a mite 'Confused' now and then!)

Good Luck,
Orange

I swapped fuel pump and ASD and Im assuming both relays are good. I know the fuel pump relay was good cause I can hear the pump prime. When I swapped the ASD relay to the fuel pump slot I can still here the pump prime. So Im going to assume those relays are OK

Well you guys arent going to believe this but its running now. The reason why I say your not going to believe it is because of what the issue was. There the cam position senor bolts on, that shaft thats driven by the oil pump, cant remember the name right now. Anyway, I just happen to be looking at it and notice this little shiny patch of clean metal. It had rotated about 5 degrees. So I try to turn it, super tight. Try to loosen the hold down bolt, ultra tight. Loosened it, turned it back, started right up. I dont even knoe how this is possible. All of a sudden while driving. The Jeep was fine before and then all of a sudden the "distributor" just moves. I dont get it. Anyway, it runs beautifully now. Thanks for all the help

Back