• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help!! Electrical issues!

rocky_mtn_xj

NAXJA Forum User
ok so when i hit a bump in my cherokee, the dash will sometimes just die...speedo, tach, all gauges...any ideas where to start looking?
im sure hoping the dash doesnt have to come apart...please reply
any advice is greatly appreciated
thanks in advance

98 4.0 pretty much bone stock...ive done some reading enough to where im trying to check all the contacts...but im having trouble getting the instrument panel apart...im sure ill get it though
but im having the same issue many have had according to this forum
air bag light
dead cluster...hit a bump and it all comes back on
wish i had the manual for it...would make tearing the dash apart a lot easier knowing where all the fasteners are...i'd hate to crack something...its the mother in laws!

I think there is a TSB on the connector at the rear of the IP. Try pulling it and clean/tweak the connections and replug it, maybe a little dielectric grease wouldn't hurt.

k how about not using acronyms...i have no idea what tsb or ip is...sorry =)

Right!

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin.

IP = Instrument Panel.

98 4.0 pretty much bone stock...ive done some reading enough to where im trying to check all the contacts...but im having trouble getting the instrument panel apart...im sure ill get it though
but im having the same issue many have had according to this forum
air bag light
dead cluster...hit a bump and it all comes back on
wish i had the manual for it...would make tearing the dash apart a lot easier knowing where all the fasteners are...i'd hate to crack something...its the mother in laws!

This is a COMMON problem on 97-01 XJs.... I have had to do this procedure several times over the years....

Remove the bezel around the A/C controls and radio by pulling gently at the base of the bezel. The bezel is held on with captive push clips attached to the back of the bezel.
Remove plastic kick panel beneath the steering column by removing 3 screws and pulling the kick panel away from the metal panel. Remove the metal panel by removing 4 screws...
Remove the instrument cluster bezel by unscrewing several screws. You can either gently push the light switch knob thru the hole in the cluster bezel or remove the knob and shaft by depressing a spring loaded button on the side of the light switch body.
Remove the instrument cluster by removing 4 screws and gently pull the cluster pins free of the (2) buss connectors behind the cluster.
Clean the pins and buss connector with scotch bright, apply dielectric grease to pins and reassemble.

Last edited:
cool...thanks a bunch...i just got it all apart and everything looks pretty darn clean...but ill clean them anyhow and hopefully it fixes it
thanks again for the walk through...

cool...thanks a bunch...i just got it all apart and everything looks pretty darn clean...but ill clean them anyhow and hopefully it fixes it
thanks again for the walk through...

Using dielectric grease on all the connectors is a good idea, as mentioned above. Get a large tube of it, and slather it over the electrical connections before putting them back together. The grease conducts electricity, and will help prevent corrosion within the connections. (Also works great in spark plug boots, to aid the electrical connection from the plug wire to the plug itself).

Using dielectric grease on all the connectors is a good idea, as mentioned above. Get a large tube of it, and slather it over the electrical connections before putting them back together. The grease conducts electricity, and will help prevent corrosion within the connections. (Also works great in spark plug boots, to aid the electrical connection from the plug wire to the plug itself).

No, dielectric grease does not conduct electricity, otherwise you would short out the connections.

No, dielectric grease does not conduct electricity, otherwise you would short out the connections.

Really? I always thought it was used as a conduit within connections since it conducted electricity. Although what you say about shorting out connections makes sense. I guess the name of it threw me off and made me think of it as something other than it was.

So how is it any better than say using Vasoline or something similar?

Really? I always thought it was used as a conduit within connections since it conducted electricity. Although what you say about shorting out connections makes sense. I guess the name of it threw me off and made me think of it as something other than it was.

So how is it any better than say using Vasoline or something similar?

Certain types of grease will actually promote corrosion of the conductive materials....
Dielectric grease seals out the environment that would cause corrosion....

Back