• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing factory trailer wiring

Hi all,

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0 and I have just picked up a Factory hitch off of a 2000 limited. The hitch came with the OEM 7 way plug and all the wiring and what appears to be relays and brake controller wiring. My question is, will this harness plug right in to the existing wiring found behind the kick panel on the drivers side? Id like this install to look factory and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

Chuck

The trailer wiring harness I installed on my last 00 XJ ($20), connected into the left-hand side tail light wiring.

Just remove the interior panel, splice the wiring according to instructions, then reinstall the interior panel. The length of trailer wiring can be rolled up and stored behind the spare tire till needed, then just run it out through the liftgate.

Keeps the wiring clean when not in use.

Can somebody get a pic of the plug/harness behind the kick panel?

There are 3 or 4 white plastic connectors, usually arranged on some sort of hanger or rack. As suggested, open up the trim panel and look inside.

The trailer wiring harness I installed on my last 00 XJ ($20), connected into the left-hand side tail light wiring.

Just remove the interior panel, splice the wiring according to instructions, then reinstall the interior panel. The length of trailer wiring can be rolled up and stored behind the spare tire till needed, then just run it out through the liftgate.

Keeps the wiring clean when not in use.

x2. My converter is stuck to the (is that the D?) pillar, and I keep a velcro wrap on the harness to keep it out of harm's way when I'm not towing. Didn't see the point in cutting a hole in the floor, finding a grommet, and then putting a weathertight box underneath to accomplish the same thing.

With regards to the wiring harness you need to get at- it's just a standard connector. Pull the trim, unplug the connectors, plug the converter's two leads into the connectors. Cake.

Ive never drilled a hole for the wiring,theres a plastic plug behind the tailight that I use.

Why wouldn't it ? Remove the trim panel and have a look.

I would love to, but the problem is that my 1999 is in NC and im in Florida. The 99 will replace my 97 that was totalled on the way down here. So I take it the factory plugs are there ready for me tp plug and play with the OEM harness I have? A picture of whats going on behind that panel from a Jeep without a factory tow package would be good if possible. Gentlemen, I have had a Chevy Cobalt rental now for the past 4 weeks and I am so ready to get into another XJ....

I almost forgot! When I pulled the OEM wiring from behind the kick panel on the 2000 in the JY, I noticed that there is a blue wire going from the harness to the front. I assume this was for an electric trailer brake set up. My question is, will a Cherokee without a factory tow package have this wire back there as well and will the other end be under the dash somewhere waiting to be used? I think I have the potential to have a really nice looking OEM setup here.

.... So I take it the factory plugs are there ready for me tp plug and play with the OEM harness I have? .....

Almost everything exchanges between any 1997-2001 Cherokee.

Some of the options from Limited may not be exactly plug and play on an SE or Sport, but any of the more common options will be plug and play.

Beautiful! I am putting in an overhead console as well so thats good to know. I would love for someone with a 97-01 xj without a tow package to shoot me some pics of whats going on back there... Im hoping it will all just plug right in and the grommet for the wires will be the same.

OK I spoke too soon. Do some searching, the OHC will fit in and function but the wire connectors did vary from year to year. The number of wires and the wire functions are the same, just the OHC plugs differ.

97 on top
2000 and 2001
standard.jpg

Last edited:
OK I spoke too soon. Do some searching, the OHC will fit in and function but the wire connectors did vary from year to year. The number of wires and the wire functions are the same, just the OHC plugs differ.

While we're on the subject (and I don't mean to thread jack), but I'm planning on swapping a headliner from a 98 with map lights, into my 97 with the older style dome lights. Am I going to have any problems mounting the new style lights? I'm sorta worried that the bracket under the headliner won't be the same for me to mount the new dome lights.

While we're on the subject (and I don't mean to thread jack), but I'm planning on swapping a headliner from a 98 with map lights, into my 97 with the older style dome lights. Am I going to have any problems mounting the new style lights? I'm sorta worried that the bracket under the headliner won't be the same for me to mount the new dome lights.

Based on my previous experience, I would think all you would need is to grab the bracket from the 98 and add it to your 97. I'm pretty sure everything should just bolt right up. Do the map lights use the same dome light harness?

Based on my previous experience, I would think all you would need is to grab the bracket from the 98 and add it to your 97. I'm pretty sure everything should just bolt right up. Do the map lights use the same dome light harness?

The map lights use the same harness as the dome light. On the 98 it's a 3 wire setup. I'm assuming it's a common ground, one wire for the dome light, and an always hot for the map lights. I see no problem in running the always hot if need be. What worries me is that the bracket for the dome light is glued/bonded to the roof.

I almost forgot! When I pulled the OEM wiring from behind the kick panel on the 2000 in the JY, I noticed that there is a blue wire going from the harness to the front. I assume this was for an electric trailer brake set up. My question is, will a Cherokee without a factory tow package have this wire back there as well and will the other end be under the dash somewhere waiting to be used? I think I have the potential to have a really nice looking OEM setup here.
oops!

Yes,the brake wire is up by the kick panel(it should have a label on it,unless it has alreadt fallen off).

The map lights use the same harness as the dome light. On the 98 it's a 3 wire setup. I'm assuming it's a common ground, one wire for the dome light, and an always hot for the map lights. I see no problem in running the always hot if need be. What worries me is that the bracket for the dome light is glued/bonded to the roof.

Sounds like a plan. As far as the bracket goes, thats nothing a good rivet gun can't fix. I believe the OH bracket was riveted on as well. I simply popped it off and ill probably just rivet it back on or use bolts.

Back