• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ Cherokee (CAN), headlights won't turn off after shutdown. DRL location?

zambaAXX

NAXJA Forum User
After turning my engine off, the headlamps remain on. The headlamp delay relay buzzes after about 30 sec's, sometimes short, sometimes long. This is not the headlamp shutoff delay option. The lights remain on permanently. I replaced the headlamp switch, disconnected the headlamp delay relay, still the lights remain on, long after the vehicle has been shut off. I'm leaning toward disconnecting the daytime running light module but I am not sure on its location.

Last edited:
Sounds like the daytime running light module to me. If you disconnect it the lights will still stay on. You have to run a jumper from one wire in the connector to another. I can't remember off the top of my head which two wires you need to connect though. I'll have a look at how I did mine when the XJ gets back home agian.

thanks for the info. Please provide jumper connection when you get the chance. I wanted to bypass the DRL years ago but now I'm forced into it (unless i fork over $150 to the dealer for a new DRL unit)

I'm told the Daytime Running Light module is located on the passenger side engine compartment. I'm trying to locate and am assuming it is under the coolant bottle reservoir ledge. There's a mess of stuff under that ledge. Can anyone describe the module?

Al, thanks for your quick response. I've removed the fuse, lights still stay on. I've removed the headlamp delay module (as mentioned in your link, see picture below), lights still stay on. That is why now I am led to the daytime running light controller, which someone earlier posted a jumper wire fix but never followed up with the details. Only resolution I have now is to disconnect the battery (PIA!).

hdmodule2.JPG

Unplug the conector from the Module (located passenger side engine compartment between the side and washer fluid container)

looking at the wire conector
DaytimeRunningLampMod.jpg

Jump Pin 1 to Pin 4
on mine it was a small Red/orange stripe wire to a small Blue/Black stripe wire.

That was it lights should go out and just controlled by the switch on the dash.

Clarification required ...

ERratIC, thanks for your follow up. Although, I'm still having problems locating the module. View picture below and see if you can spot it.

enginebay2.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is a 1992 and yours looks different than mine. The conetcor marked with the red looks like it "might" be one one but mine only had three wire on the top half. My module is a plastic black box about 3" x 3" x 1" and right in the back corner of the engine bay.

enginebay2.jpg

Mine did that, it was tied into the drivers door switch and a timer. just quite working. But on mine I can turn turn the switch on, off then turn the key off and the lights go out. Otherwise they stay on for a while and make a horrible buzzing noise

Back