• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

issue with installing AJ's super rails. Help?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I got AJ's awesome rails and having an issue with fitment on the passenger side. When I line it up with the pinch seam, there's about 1/2"-3/4" gap between the front frame bracket and frame rail. The rear frame backet touches the frame pretty good. I tried pounding the pinch seem inwards more but it only bends so far. What can I do to get it to reach the framerail? A spacer of some sort?

I started all the bolts loosely first, and tightened them little bit by little bit and everything came together nicely. Be carefult on the "framerails" they are thin and easy to pull through. I had hd framerail stiffeners so I wasnt worried about cranking on them. I had about the same amount of gap 1/2 inch or so. It wouldnt be difficult to make a spacer to put between the foot and the framerail either, you may end up getting longer self threading bolts

I started all the bolts loosely first, and tightened them little bit by little bit and everything came together nicely. Be carefult on the "framerails" they are thin and easy to pull through. I had hd framerail stiffeners so I wasnt worried about cranking on them. I had about the same amount of gap 1/2 inch or so. It wouldnt be difficult to make a spacer to put between the foot and the framerail either, you may end up getting longer self threading bolts

I don't see how it can get any closer to the framerail unless you move the pinch seams inwards, which is impossible to do. I'll try bolt it up and see what happens....

I went just a hair smaller (like maybe a 32nd or 64th of an inch) on the drill bit...gives the self tappers a little more bite....

I went just a hair smaller (like maybe a 32nd or 64th of an inch) on the drill bit...gives the self tappers a little more bite....

I did this on the passenger side. It feels alot more tight. Thanks for the tip.

I drilled the holes and all that and it seems like it will bolt up now. Weird how it wasn't lining up well and now it is. Cherokees............:confused1

I ran into another little problem. The front bracket uses four self tappers. When I was drilling the two bottom holes, the left one had some metal or bracket inside the frame, blocking the hole about half way up. When I would try to drill through it, it would snap my drill bit. If the metal was fully covering the hole then I could do it but it's only half way up so my bits won't drill through it. I'm just gonna use three bolts on that side and maybe add another where space permits. It should be ok though. I did break two of my new $$ bits.....:cool:

Weld it on. Unless you plan on adding frame stiffeners (unless you want custom ones). If you do, put the stiffies on, then weld your sliders to that.

Weld it on. Unless you plan on adding frame stiffeners (unless you want custom ones). If you do, put the stiffies on, then weld your sliders to that.

Mine did the same thing. They eventually met the frame, but it took some cranking. It didn't appear to be an exact fit at the time. I'm sure that the order in which you install things plays a role.

Front of Slider to Frame Gap:
3380522653_bd0f5ac408.jpg

End Result:
3381352844_5e155a7c79.jpg

That's the best way to do it but I have no welding equipment or skills to do so. Maybe later on if I meet someone who can weld I will ask them to do it for me in exchange for a case of beer. :)

Mine did the same thing. They eventually met the frame, but it took some cranking. It didn't appear to be an exact fit at the time. I'm sure that the order in which you install things plays a role.

Front of Slider to Frame Gap:
3380522653_bd0f5ac408.jpg

End Result:
3381352844_5e155a7c79.jpg

Looks like it's normal. Mine was about twice the distance from the frame as yours was. I think it will fit good.

I just got done painting them (2 coats of primer, 2 coats of black) so once it's dry i'll throw em on.

Back