• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom HP Dana 44

KJurasek

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of building a custom HP Dana 44. However, I am running into a bunch of different answers from different people. First off, I would like to build a HP Dana 44 that will be minimal cost and allows the use of after-market parts (mainly inner axle shafts). Second, I am trying to beat the cost on some of the after-market custom axle shops. I believe this can be done.

What I am running into is people saying that since I will be building a HP Dana 44 for the stock length of the XJ, then they will have to make custom inner axle shafts. Second, I am getting different answers on what items to use for the outer knuckles and hubs (GM knuckles, caliper supports, and Ford hubs (5 x 5.5)). What kind of spindles to use? Also, there is the question of a high-steer vs. low steer.

Ahhh!!!

Cannot I not use TJ parts to build a HP D 44 excluding the custom housing?

I did not realize it was so complicated just to swap the pinion from low to high.

Any input on this is appreciated.

KJ

I would like to build a HP Dana 44 that will be minimal cost and allows the use of after-market parts...
We'd all like that, but this just isn't going to happen.

To avoid custom shafts, narrow it down to Waggy D44 width. It'll be slightly wider (61.5" wms) than your stock XJ D30 width, but you'll be fine.
Just use whatever hubs you want to get the bolt pattern you'd like and go in from there. The hubs will determine the spindles, which will determine the outer stub shafts. Simple.
Do steering once, get some flattop knuckles an go highsteer. Be careful to get knuckles that will work with your spindle choice.
A TJ "D44" isn't much more than a LP D44 center with D30 outers.

Last edited:
I am in the process of building a custom HP Dana 44. However, I am running into a bunch of different answers from different people. First off, I would like to build a HP Dana 44 that will be minimal cost and allows the use of after-market parts (mainly inner axle shafts). Second, I am trying to beat the cost on some of the after-market custom axle shops. I believe this can be done.

What I am running into is people saying that since I will be building a HP Dana 44 for the stock length of the XJ, then they will have to make custom inner axle shafts. Second, I am getting different answers on what items to use for the outer knuckles and hubs (GM knuckles, caliper supports, and Ford hubs (5 x 5.5)). What kind of spindles to use? Also, there is the question of a high-steer vs. low steer.

Ahhh!!!

Cannot I not use TJ parts to build a HP D 44 excluding the custom housing?

I did not realize it was so complicated just to swap the pinion from low to high.

Any input on this is appreciated.

KJ

You can cut it down to waggy shaft lengths and use stock wagoneer inner axles and have multiple options for the spindles... there are a number of HP44 builds on this site. Do a search and you'll gain lots of knowledge.

Ahh! RCMan beat me! The Chevy small spindle outers with Ford 5x5.5 rotors and hubs is the usual combo for flat tops/high steer.

Ahh! RCMan beat me! The Chevy small spindle outers with Ford 5x5.5 rotors and hubs is the usual combo for flat tops/high steer.
:)
Full size Jeeps used similar ones as well.

I am in the process of building a HP44 now. I did not want to use custom inner shafts or Waggy shafts because of the centering issues I had read about even though many had done it with success. I decided to use Rubicon 44 inners. Gets the housing centered properly using off the shelf parts and eneded up at 62'' wms. It also allowed plenty of room to mount the driver side coil bracket. I am using all the Ford knuckles and hubs to keep cost down and over the knuckle steering using 1 ton GM tie rod parts. I plan on a full write up when I am done.

Last edited:
I am in the process of building a HP44 now. I did not want to use custom inner shafts or Waggy shafts because of the centering issues I had read about even though many had done it with success. I decided to use Rubicon 44 inners. Gets the housing centered properly using off the shelf parts and eneded up at 62'' wms. It also allowed plenty of room to mount the driver side coil bracket. I am using all the Ford knuckles and hubs to keep cost down and over the knuckle steering using 1 ton GM tie rod parts. I plan on a full write up when I am done.

Only problem with that is the availability of those shafts in a junk yard. It's alot harder to find rubicon shafts than waggy shafts. I can say at least in my parts wagoneers can be found relatively easily and it's not expensive to pull the shafts. If you're buying aftermarket it's all moot but just throwing that out there.

:)
Full size Jeeps used similar ones as well.

Yep, they are the same, except the drivers knuckle doesn't come drilled from the factory.
Its what I have on mine :)

If you don't want to go custom shafts, I would go with Wagoneer length shafts. Other than that I can't help you, I have custom length inner shafts in mine.

As far as high steer and knuckles, how much lift do you have?
I would go with Chevy/FSJ knuckles, spindles, and caliper brackets, and then use Ford hubs and rotors for a 5x5.5. This way you can have Flat top knuckles, and if you decide to build the axle without high steer, then decide you want it, all you have to do is take the knuckles off and have them machined.
If you don't already know about it, this is a great website that has tons of information.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/index.htm

Also, TJ parts should not go near a HP44. They are completely different beasts. It is a low pinion D44/D30 hybrid (The only part of a TJ rubicon axle that is 'D44' is the center section and gears. The thin tubes, inner c's, and knuckles are D30), where as a high pinion is from a pick up truck with 1/2" wall tubes with larger brakes, serviceable hubs, and lockouts.

Thanks guys, all your input helps a lot.

OK, here is a question I am putting out for everyone. Why can't you take a Rubicon front axle, knock out the center section and put in a HP 44 center section? I have heard the the housings are not the same size (ie. width). Is this true?

OK, here is a question I am putting out for everyone. Why can't you take a Rubicon front axle, knock out the center section and put in a HP 44 center section? I have heard the the housings are not the same size (ie. width). Is this true?

And keep the Dana 30 outters?
Billy

Also, TJ parts should not go near a HP44. They are completely different beasts. It is a low pinion D44/D30 hybrid (The only part of a TJ rubicon axle that is 'D44' is the center section and gears. The thin tubes, inner c's, and knuckles are D30), where as a high pinion is from a pick up truck with 1/2" wall tubes with larger brakes, serviceable hubs, and lockouts.

It would be entirely too much work, and you would gain absolutely nothing. Why not just narrow a full width axle? You would need to have a shop take the old tubes out, and then press the new ones in.

As I said in my post, the tubes on a rubicon axle from a TJ are from a Dana 30. They are thin, and should not be used on a HP44.

I was looking Reid Racing outer knuckles. Should I be looking at something else? I am definately thinking about setting the width to a Wagoneer. Still up in the air from there on out. I am thinking GM knuckles and brake brackets with Ford hubs and rotors. I didn't realize there are so many ways to go on this. More complicated than I thought.

You are right about the Dana 44/30. They do have thin tubes. I think the way to go would be to take a full width Ford front axle and narrow it. Now as far as the inner-c's, it is ok to re-use the Ford inner-c's or should I look at aftermarket inners? Then go Ford from there on out.

Man! My vehicle is going to be a real mutt!

Need to know why you think you need a HP44.

What size tires and what kind of wheeler are you? AKA, do you love the win pedal?

You'd probably be fine with stock knuckles if you're not doing any kind of ram assist.

With the Reid d44 knuckles in the Ford version, then you could use the outers (stubs/hubs/calipers) that came with your axle...

and they have a much bigger hole in them, that doesnt force you to remove the CTM caps to pull the shafts...

I have them, and like them.

I bought them from Parts Mike @ Parts Mike Parts. He really knows his d44 stuff, and should be able to get you set up with whatever you need. :thumbup:

http://www.partsmike.com/

Back