• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my side view mirror

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
On the driver side the side view mirror doesnt adjust by the metal stick
so i actually cant see out of the mirror
I recently had a mirror cut and glued onto it cause mines broke and i need to adjust so i can see
whats broken?

What year of XJ? I'm assuming it's a manual mirror?

When I swapped heated power mirrors on to my 97 XJ (from a 98 XJ), I had to glue the glass back to the backing plate. The wires that connected to the mirror were for the heating element. Anyways, I used a silicone glue/sealant (clear) to glue the glass back on.

In my GF's Alero with manual windows, sometimes the cable will not want to adjust the mirror. I usually just roll down the window and work the glass while I move the stick. This usually free's it up. Even if you are the only one that drive's a vehicle, you should adjust your manual mirrors every so often to keep it working. Also, if you tear it down, lube the cable for easier opperation.

its a 88 xj 6cyl
i think the scewa to get to the backing plate are behind the mirror and i dont have any mirror glue im assuming ill have to tear it down huh? cause i tried adjust with my hand but the mirror doesnt stay where u put it?
any ideas?

Just a dumb idea here!!!!!!!! Spray a little of that insulating foam in around it and hold it in the right place until it hardens. Don't use too much because it expands strongly and could bust everything apart.

There is some sort of gimbal in there that breaks, some place sells them, and this used to pop up in here every time this thread did. Mine have never worked, I'm eventually going to just remove the mirrors.

Back