• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maxxis Bighorns

magimerlin

NAXJA Forum User
I need reviews from like minded (xj owner) people. My BFG MT's (old style not the KM2's) are in need of replacement.

I want to know the size you are running the good, the bad, and yes even the ugly. And what you drive them on, i.e. DD, rock, sand, mud, you get the idea...

love mine

opps not an xj owner...

seriously hto we have about a group of six guys that all run em on there xj up here and none of em have probs, i love mine on my tj tooo

the only slight downside is the life on em, i have heard to expect 30k tops

if you do choose em go with macs tire bin on ebay, best prices hands down even with shipping

i saw advertised somewhere that they are studable... as in stud ready... is this true?

i run 33x12.50. they are nice. not too loud on the street. good in the sand and clean real well in the mud. havent been on rocks all but once and they did just fine with 15psi

i have them in the 35/12.50 flavor and i love them. great road characteristics, good in snow and clear out in mud very well. good traction in rain and in sand as well. ive had mine for over 25,000 miles and it wouldnt suprise me if i have them for another 30,000

i have them in the 35/12.50 flavor and i love them. great road characteristics, good in snow and clear out in mud very well. good traction in rain and in sand as well. ive had mine for over 25,000 miles and it wouldnt suprise me if i have them for another 30,000
Same here......

I'll likely buy more after I get the goodie out of this set.

I see they are good in the snow, how are they on ice? it snows then rains and rains some more here. I like my BFG AT's but am interested in the bighorns.

My big horns have been great in all terrain so far. Rocks, dry, wet, snow....waiting for a good ice storm to see what happens. I will admit that running them at 15 psi in everything but pavement seems to be ideal.

I would go with the super swamper Truxs M/t because from what i've seen they are cheaper and they have a ton of siping.... I live in colorado and need siping for the ice and a M/t to dig. ;]

love mine

opps not an xj owner...

seriously hto we have about a group of six guys that all run em on there xj up here and none of em have probs, i love mine on my tj tooo

the only slight downside is the life on em, i have heard to expect 30k tops

if you do choose em go with macs tire bin on ebay, best prices hands down even with shipping

I searched for Macs Tire bin and found nothing, any other ways to get the site????:cheers:

I would go with the super swamper Truxs M/t because from what i've seen they are cheaper and they have a ton of siping.... I live in colorado and need siping for the ice and a M/t to dig. ;]

For an off road tire they are great. But they don't balance for crap. The Bighorns are a better all around tire. JIM.

For an off road tire they are great. But they don't balance for crap. The Bighorns are a better all around tire. JIM.

I heard that Tread Wrights didn't balance for crap too untill some came in my shop, and none of them took more than .75 on one side w/ old Suburban rims...:scared: :scared::scared::scared::cheers:

Last edited:
I've had mine on for a few days and can say I love them so far. Really, really, quiet on the road and quite smooth ridin'

I was talking to my girlfriend tonight and said , "I'm going 70 mph right now, which car am I in? (I DD a Honda Civic) She guessed Civic and was really surprised I was in the Jeep.

Haven't taken them off road yet, but I'm sure they'll be great like everyone says.

Last edited:
I replaced my 33" Goodyear MTRs a few days ago with 33" Bighorns and I cannot be happier! I haven't been offroad with the Bighorns yet, but on the road they are miles better than the MTRs - much quieter and they grip a wet road much better.

I've always thought the MTRs are one of the best looking tyres, but I think the Bighorns look as nice!

16092009117.jpg

Maxxis bighorns in 31x10.50 here also. They do great in the snow/mixed ice here in the NW. Went from portland to seattle in the middle of the "Arctic Blast" this last winter and passed more 4x4's that were stuck in the snow than I can remember. With chains on these are nearly unstoppable. Never had to dig myself out. They ride smooth,quiet compared to swampers,last as long as I expect a mud tire to. Way longer than TSL's. Sand/mud performance is good,rocks are good also but they get ripped up pretty easy. I drive 99% street and these are awesome.

x2 I have 35x12.50x15 bighorns and the place that mounted them couldn't balance so I left without any weights at all on the wheels and couldn't even tell.
Try that with swamper anything in the 35" flavor.:scared:

Back