• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Introduction

mxracer984

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to introduce myself. my name is Kris and I just bought a 2001 Grey XJ. with 72000 miles.

It is stock now but I am planning on:

Wheels = Moab or ?
tires= BFG's
3" Lift
3 core radiator
tune up
Safari Rack
Disc brake conversion
SYE
as well as some stereo mods.

I welcome any XJ knowledge you guys can pass on! :helpme:

That would be a nice setup. I wanted to get Moab rims but they are pretty expensive, I ended up going with Ravines instead. Might want to get wheel spacers too, my Ravines are 15x8 with 5.5" of BS which is a lot.
Buy a decent 3" lift, I like my RE 3.5" lift system however I built it up a little more to 4.5". 3" lifts are nice because they are simpler to install and not many mods to do. I'm very sure you won't need an SYE with a 3" lift.
If you are going to do the disc brake mod, might as well get a rear axle like an 8.25 or better a D44 unless you already have one of those rear ends.
I would mention that you can swap out your low pinion Dana 30 front axle for an HP Dana 30, however I'm guessing you probably won't need that either with the setup you want to be at.

WOW! One post and already red? Cool bones, man!

Welcome to the club!

Go with the 4.5 inch lift - you'll just do it later, anyhow. Well, unless you don't wheel. If it's just to lift the Jeep, 3" might be OK. :)

WOW! One post and already red? Cool bones, man!

Welcome to the club!

Go with the 4.5 inch lift - you'll just do it later, anyhow. Well, unless you don't wheel. If it's just to lift the Jeep, 3" might be OK. :)

I plan on wheeling just don't know if I can pony up the money for a 4.5" lift now. I just came back for colorado last week and I was able to run a some fire roads but with no armor and or lift...I am limited to little more that mall crawling for now :bawl:

That would be a nice setup. I wanted to get Moab rims but they are pretty expensive, I ended up going with Ravines instead. Might want to get wheel spacers too, my Ravines are 15x8 with 5.5" of BS which is a lot.
Buy a decent 3" lift, I like my RE 3.5" lift system however I built it up a little more to 4.5". 3" lifts are nice because they are simpler to install and not many mods to do. I'm very sure you won't need an SYE with a 3" lift.
If you are going to do the disc brake mod, might as well get a rear axle like an 8.25 or better a D44 unless you already have one of those rear ends.
I would mention that you can swap out your low pinion Dana 30 front axle for an HP Dana 30, however I'm guessing you probably won't need that either with the setup you want to be at.

Thanks for the great info. I will have to research the back spacing and a lift install. I am a good mechanic but I have never worked on suspension or axles so this is all new to me....

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome! I am looking forward to building up my jeep and hitting the trails soon!

Welcome to the mad-house. My driveway is alway opening for wrenching

Welcome to the mad-house. My driveway is alway opening for wrenching

he's not kidding...

Kyungx029.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z305/bpking_42/Decomissioning of XJ/Kyungx029.jpg

Welcome to Naxja. Very soon you will realize what JEEP stands for.
J: Just
E: Empty
E: Every
P: Pocket​

STOP before the 3" lift .....sell the chorokee and/or chop it up for a 1 ton buggy on 40's

You'll end up there eventually!
:D

Welcome.

Welcome to the family! Thanks for joining and supporting the cause!

I highly recommend saving a little extra and just go to the 4.5" lift if you can. I lifted mine 3 different times and it cost way too much!

nothing wrong with a 3" lift with 31's. I ran that for a few years and went everywhere I wanted to go. Throw a locker or LSD in the rear, tow points front and rear, and some rock rails and gast tank skid and hit the trail!

Hope to meet you soon!

Welcome to the family! Thanks for joining and supporting the cause!

I highly recommend saving a little extra and just go to the 4.5" lift if you can. I lifted mine 3 different times and it cost way too much!

nothing wrong with a 3" lift with 31's. I ran that for a few years and went everywhere I wanted to go. Throw a locker or LSD in the rear, tow points front and rear, and some rock rails and gast tank skid and hit the trail!

Hope to meet you soon!

Thanks for the info...I am starting to think the 4.5 RE kit is the way to go. I am looking at rock rails and bumpers now....

Do you still have the set of moab's for sale?

Back