• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column plastic covers.

Jeepcreep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 XJ 4.0 and cannot see how to remove the Steering column shroud/clamshell. I want to be able to get to the ignition switch contacts/mechanism. I can only see one screw and taking it out makes no difference, I know there must be a way, but I cannot see it, and I don't want to break anything. Any clues would be welcome.

To get to the ignition switch it's down the column closer to the pedals. For getting to the key cylinder you have to go in from the top removing the wheel and working down.

I also have a '93 and I see that you are at least approaching my ancientness. I just wanted to add that if it is the electrical switch (toward the base of the column) that you are trying to access, it is easier to get at this by removing the lower dash panel, particularly the first time. Depending on your size and how limber you are, it might also help to remove the front seat (some report doing this) but I have never had to do so.

Various instructions also suggest lowering the column somewhat. I did this the first time I changed out the switch but, while not difficult, I couldn't tell that it helped much.

Let us know if we can add anything else as you get into this.

I notice that you're in Merry Old England. Which steering column do you have? You say that the vehicle is a '93, but here in the New World, we didn't get the 'clamshell' column till the 1995 model. From '94 down, Jeep used a steering column from Saginaw, a GM design from the sixties. Does your steering wheel have an airbag? Euro models just may have it. Let us know whether or not you've got a bagger, because the ignition switch, which is what I assume you're asking about, will be in different locations.

Hi,
Thanks for replies. No, there is no airbag fitted. The reason I want to get to the ignition switch mechanism is that it is getting a bit harder to turn the key, I just want to put some grease on the moving parts. It is normally possible to see how something goes together but this has got me stumped, maybe it just snaps together, I don't want to go forcing it until I know how it fits together.

You're gonna hafta pull the wheel, and then whatever cover is directly below the wheel. I haven't been there in a while, so I don't remember exactly, but other similar columns have a plastic disc, or cover, to keep dust out of the direction signal mechanism. You should be able to see the ignition linkage in there. Use a light lubricant, with the nozzle or tube that comes with many brands (WD 40 or white grease) and give the linkage and pivot points a light squirt. Maybe a shot of graphite or lock lube into the keyhole and lock tumblers. The switch itself is down near the base, try not to get any lube into it. Good luck!

if your trying to get to the ignition switch you dont have to take the wheel off you can just drop the column by unbolting it under the dash, thats what i did to replace mine, not a perfect solution but a few nuts off and you can lube it up all you want

If the key is getting hard to turn, I wouldn't bet the farm that putting (hopefully) dielectric grease on the ignition switch is going to change things much, if at all.

A worn key or pins in the lock cylinder would be most likely the source of the problem.

Back