• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thought I'd introduce myself...

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
Name's Brian, and I've been in San Diego for the last 10 years working and raising a family.

I had an LJ that got stolen near Thanksgiving of last year, and didn't get back into the jeep scene till about June of this year.

I had been searching for the right rig, and it came down to a toyota fj60 and an XJ. I wanted solid axles, power steering, a heater and room for 5. (I'm a cheap date..haha)

I decided on the XJ for these reasons:

-Lower odometer mileage of the two choices.
-Getting parts locally is easy.
-4.0L motor is pretty legendary.
- Extensive aftermarket for me to drool over
- DD'ing made the 20mpg of the XJ a lot more enticing than the 10-14mpg of the 60 series.
-it's a Jeep, and I knew I already like the community.

What a great choice. My rig is as follows:

1992 Laredo with 168,000 miles
-HP30
-NP231
-D35
-3.55's
-AW4-auto
pretty well stock...

I've done the following:
-Full tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, belt, fuel filter, etc)
-New radiator
-New fluids
-New TPS sensor
-Used class III hitch & new plug/n/play wiring kit with 4pin or 7pin ability
-Camping lab Awning mounted to thule crossbars.

On the list:

-OME 2" kit from DPG
-Full length Bajarack MegaMULE rack. (3 kids = no choice..gotta get a rack..lol)
-Logans Metal or ARB bull bar/winch mount
-Harbor frieght 8000lb winch (I had one on my LJ...great winch)
-Swing away carrier, possibly DetoursUSA Tailbone
-ZJ tie rod and drag link
-DPG offroad Tcase skid
-Sliders...not sure, probably AJ's
-stock front skid plate
-hood vent mod
-new paint (at some point)
-load area divider
-new tint

Thanks all for a great site, with an impressive knowledge base...

Regards,
Brian

pics:

DSC05115.jpg

IMGP7030r.jpg

DSC06156r.jpg

Here's the awning workin' hard at a BBQ of ours...great piece of kit. I'll mount it to the side of the rack when I get it.
DSC06144r.jpg

Good choice over the yota :D.

There are a couple of meet & greets in SD. We get together for pizza and beer (usually). Two actually. One in Vista, and one sort of usually in Clairemont area. First Tue of the month in Vista is at Lamppost Pizza. And the third Wednesday in Clairemont most of the time at bullpen bar & grill, but it's been known to hop around now and then :D. Look for it.

Just FYI, if you put an a 2" lift, and then put on a HD bumper and winch, you're gonna have a .5-1" lift when you're done with it. My advise, get a 3-4.5" lift. Rubicon Express makes great stuff. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Good choice over the yota :D.

There are a couple of meet & greets in SD. We get together for pizza and beer (usually). Two actually. One in Vista, and one sort of usually in Clairemont area. First Tue of the month in Vista is at Lamppost Pizza. And the third Wednesday in Clairemont most of the time at bullpen bar & grill, but it's been known to hop around now and then :D. Look for it.

Just FYI, if you put an a 2" lift, and then put on a HD bumper and winch, you're gonna have a .5-1" lift when you're done with it. My advise, get a 3-4.5" lift. Rubicon Express makes great stuff. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

That sounds great. I actually work up in Kearny Mesa, so I'm right there for the Third wednesday one.

10-4 on the lift advice. I'm mostly looking to replace sagging stock springs, and to help carry my girls and all the crap associated. Oh, and
help keep the rear up when towing a small ute. trailer.

I'd like to not install a sye/custom shaft if possible, to keep it as stock as possible...

Whatever lift you choose will nosedive with a heavy bumper and winch up front, better to just get some small coil spacers to add to your lift, the 2" you want.

Welcome! :D

Glad to see you made it over from ExPo.... BigDaddy. LOL :D

Back