• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got done reading Flags of our Fathers...

boostleak

NAXJA Forum User
Excellent book - even if you're not a "reader", I'd suggest picking it up. I have to be honest - as my family was only involved in the conflict in Europe (both sides - US and Germany), I hadn't paid much attention to our fight against Japan. I must not of paid much attention in history when the subject of Japan and WWII came up, because when someone asked me why we were at war with Japan, I couldn't give an answer. Yeah, they bombed Pearl Harbor - but WHY? This book gives a short, sweet answer to that question - without making this the focus of the story.
Anyway - why am I posting this up in the NWC forum? I was browsing through my Photobucket albums this morning, and initially couldn't figure out why this picture kept grabbing my attention. It's admittedly of poor quality - I'm not a photographer. I posted this before, right after the trip, and I remember the driver (sorry, forgot your name!) saying "Man, I had no idea so many guys were helping push." :

Misc011-3.jpg

Then I remembered the subject of that book:

ChrisCameraPictures1100.jpg

I'm in no way, shape, or form implying that anything we do out on the trail holds 1/100th the level of importance of what these guys did on Iwo Jima - the sacrifice many of them made. BUT - the one similarity is the spirit of service to one another that still exists in this country. Call it cheesy, corny - whatever. But my patience with liberal media has worn thin over the past few years - I'm sick of hearing about "fat, selfish, self-absorbed Americans", when every time I hang out with NAXJA or some of the other groups I tag along with, I'm reminded that I'm still surrounded by decent people. For the rest of you - it's because of the guys in the second photo - and guys like them - that you have the freedom to spew hateful comments directed at our government, military, and citizens without fear of persecution.

Back