• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damge to CPS flexplate ring during engine removal?

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I just pulled my engine.. and I'm afraid I bent the ring around the flex plate that the CPS reads.. it could be an optical illlusion.. We got kinda ruff when we were trying to shake the the motor loose from the tranny.

Althought, the steel feels pretty rigid. Anyone know how easy it is to bend? Should I just replace the flex plate to be on the safe side?

(I did have the CPS sensor removed when I pulled the motor)

You did unbolt the flexplate from the torque converter first, right? Not doing that can damage the t/c and/or the pump in the front of the AW4. When you re-install, make sure you keep rotating the t/c until it is fully seated or you can break the pump in the AW4.

Assuming it's still bolted to the engine, just check the runout as you turn the crank by hand.

yes I did unbolt it, and I marked the position with spray paint.. I read online you are supposed to line it back up the same way.. that they are balance together, but I'm not sure if that's correct. I'll check the run out.. I assume its not super critical that its perfect? Has anyone ever heard of having CPS issues because of that ring being bent? I'm still not sure its bent.. it just appears that it may be..

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

That's to keep your buddies from borrowing it. :shhh:

Hahah I had to leave it outside the night before, and the next day because I couldn't get those dang E12 Torx out. I live in a good neighborhood but you never know..

Funny thing is when we got the engine in the air and were trying to roll the engine hoist back we were like "what is it hung up on?" I still had the dang cable lock on it... I had it locked to the Dana 30..

If the ring is bent, can I try to straighten it?

that they are balance together, but I'm not sure if that's correct. I'll check the run out.. I assume its not super critical that its perfect?

They aren't balanced together. Its a good idea to keep them in the same relation, but not critical.

The CPS ring is pretty stout and while it is a possibility that you bent it (do you see and scratches on it?) I doubt that happened.

Back