• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crank, start, stall...

vjarman

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone, vj here. on my 89 cherokee, 4.0l 4x4 i have an electrical problem somewhere... i went out at lunch to start it to go get some food and it started fine but when i went to back up it stalled... i started it again and 2 seconds later it died again... i started it a third time and everytime i hit the throttle it would die then when i let off it would idle... i was also looking around in the jeep and noticed when i crank the jeep the light that illuminates the 4x4position when the headlights are on glows... and when it runs it glows. very dim but you can tell its on. then when the jeep dies it slowly goes out... anyone have any ideas what it could be? thanks everyone!
V.J.

check the balast resister on the driver inner fender well. make sure both wires are on it. sounds like what my 89 was doing.

well when i finally got a chance to work on my jeep i found the problem... the passenger side tail light bulb was causing the jeep not to run. the 4x4 light was flashing very fast and so was the tail light bulb so i pulled the bulb out cleaned out the socket and put it back in. the jeep runs fine now and the 4x4 light is out. never would of thunk it.

Back