• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where is that tread/link....convert from 231 to 242

Oseberg

NAXJA Forum User
Well, well....searched..but did'nt find

Issue:
-Have a set up with AX 15/NP231
-would like to convert to NP242 Transfer case

So...it is somewere in here...can you help?

Cherokee, 97-4,0L Sport ....... a factory original...for ever ...I guess:)

I don't know if there is a step by step guide, but it is pretty simple.

Buy an NP242 transfer case, shift bezel, shift gate, and full-time light wiring harness of the same era as your XJ. Based on your signature that would be a 97-01 XJ. Note that other vehicles may have the same basic case but will have different mounting holes or other changes.

Remove the NP231, and install the NP242. This is easier if you remove the crossmember (support the transmission with a jack) but not necessary.

Remove the NP231 shift bezel and gate and install the NP242 parts. Adjust the shift linkage under the floor, leaving some room for play in the handle when it is all the way forward and backwards.

I'm not sure about the 97+ but on older models you had to install a bulb for the full-time light (factory part-time did not have a bulb in the full-time socket), and also required a different wiring harness to connect the transfer case switch to the light (more info).

Thanx... both of you :)

....but....there is a input shaft lengt- issue - on the 242 case. I recall that there is 3 different set up. Now as I wan'ts to merge the 242 with the AX 15, what shaft length or witch donor vehicle may I look for ?

(The tread I was looking for had a description for this)

Found a link regarding the shaft length
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np_nvg_input_gears.htm

199ff8fc-8aef-4afe-8f2c-470173612367.jpg

Back