• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil leak

Burchie

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. I've developed an oil leak on my '94. It has gotten worse over the past couple of weeks. Now it's turned into a constant drip while the engine is running. It seams to be coming from in between the block and the 90 degree elbow to the oil filter.

Look... Pictures.

Clean. Engine not running.
IMG_7471-4-x-120.jpg

Engine running.
IMG_7473-4x6-120.jpg

close up.
IMG_7474-4x6-120.jpg

Now it seams to be over full with oil, but not by that much.
IMG_7476-4x6-120.jpg

So what do you all think? Thanks.

its pretty common for the oil filter adapters to leak, a seal kit is about 16$ from the dealer nowadays.

well if you thought that sounded bad this will sound worse... lol.

to get it off, stick your finger down there. ;) there should be a bolt that takes a hex key running all the way through it. its 90° from the block going straight into it, and its in the center of that adapter piece. ill see if i can draw you an arrow hang on....

or is it two little bolts on the HOs... hmm i cant remember now lol. thats where the bolt goes in on my renix tho, i think the HOs are the same but my other jeep is in storage so i can't go check. maybe someone else will chime in...

That's the write-up I used I think. It would be nice if you had the bolt type. My friend had two blocks and I took the adapter from one, it was a hex but his other one had an actual bolt. Makes it easier to wrench off. Actually a little trick I came up with was I went to Home Depot and bought one of those long hex nuts (forget the name) that is usually found next to the allthread. It is the same size as the hex for that bolt, simply stick the hex nut in and wrench it off.
I was going to replace the o-rings but they seemed fine. I ended up putting a layer of RTV black on just to make sure, it looked like it had a thin coat of it on before anyway.

with new orings you shouldnt need RTV i would avoid it unless it leaks after you put it all back together. as far as the bolt, the earlier models used a bolt with a regular head, but as far as the threads being the same im not sure. i do know its not a regular bolt its hollow and has a hole in it, so dont go replacing it with a standard bolt ;)

scott, shouldn't you be ironing your tutu? :D

glad to help :cheers:

I just kept the hex head bolt. It was a real pain to put on for me because the frame gets in the way, not much room to put a hex key there. I RTV'ed it for extra insurance. In my case, I have an engine out of a TJ in my XJ, so it never came with that 90 degree adapter. It also never had a spot or came with a pin to hold that adapter just right, so I just tightened it down nicely.
This is the nut I was talking about:
org_1704455.jpg

I went to Home Depot and I believe it was the 7/16" long hex nut. It fits nicely in the hex hole but sticks out so you can get a wrench there.

There's a few different sizes, some have a normal 15mm, some are a torx, and some are a 12mm allen. Use the RTV on the inner (big one that seals the block), and the outer ( where the bolt seals to the adapter housing)

I would not use RTV, but if you do, use it sparingly. You don't want chunks of silicone braking loose and plugging your oil passages. IMO

There's a few different sizes, some have a normal 15mm, some are a torx, and some are a 12mm allen. Use the RTV on the inner (big one that seals the block), and the outer ( where the bolt seals to the adapter housing)

I can add an extra, mine was a 9/16th allen, this seems rare but they are out there.

Update. Ok, I got the T-60 on there using a socket cap and a 14mm open end wrench. (not the one in the pic)

20081006-003.jpg

That sucker didn't move. Then I put a 2 foot breaker bar on it. Nothing. So for the next step I'm thinking about adding some heat to the mix. (no not like that) what about bringing the engine up to operating temp. That should loosen things up a bit.

Any suggestions?
:helpme:

Last edited:
Might as well try to heat it up. The only other thing I can think of is to use a longer cheater bar at the expense of maybe breaking your wrench.

Back