• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get a D44 part clip ring

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I am running a high pinion D44 in the front. I get a wierd grumbling noise every so often and have chased it for more than a year. I finally traced it down to the axle hitting against the axle C on the passenger side. I haven't disassembled the hub bu from what I can tell, I must be missing the clip ring on the end of the axle in the MileMarker hub, letting the axle migrate towards the pinion, letting it rub every once in a while.

Is this a common item I can score at NAPA or do I go to Ford and try to get the part for a 1978 Bronco? Anybody know a good place to score one? I guess I could measure everything and try to find one at McMaster Carr.

are you just talking about the snap ring on the axle shaft?

I'm sure its pretty common, but I might have an extra one laying around if you want.

Most people dont run them. I dont have many miles on mine, but as far as I know mine dont hit.

Are your hubs unlocked when this is happening? Im curious as to how it would happen if the shaft isnt spinning.

I bet Napa could get them for you. They might have to open a book rather then type it into a computer.

There is a oil slinger type thing on the shaft where it enters the tube. I am running lockouts and when in 4wd the shaft sometimes slides over and into the housing enough to make contact. Took a long time to figure what was happening. It never happens in 2wd with the hubs unlocked.

The funny thing is that it never happens under load, only between obstacles.

Back