• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch squeals loudly plz help

95xj5spd

NAXJA Forum User
while i was out driving today my clutch all of a sudden started squealing really loud. The noise only happens when i press the pedal in, I can smell burnt clutch, and i lost some pressure on the pedal.

95 xj ax-15

I did just put on a 6.5 inch a few days ago, but i dont see how that would affect it.

Clutch time.

Its not the clutch,its the throw-out bearing!

Its not the clutch,its the throw-out bearing!

Yea that is what I was thinking of. But depending on how long it has all been in there may as well replace it while the transmission is out.

If you have the internal slave cylinder, replace cylinder (includes throw-out), and clutch disc. With the smell, you may have blueing of the pressure plate and flywheel. If in doubt, replace pressure plate and have flywheel turned on a lathe.

Thanks a lot guys, a couple friends said throw out bearing also. I might as well replace it all while im in there right?

Right! and replace the pilot bearing in the rear of the crank, as well.

Thanks a lot guys, a couple friends said throw out bearing also. I might as well replace it all while im in there right?

Yes, this is one of those "do it all, and do it right the first time" jobs.

Note: Chrysler says the flywheel should be replaced rather than having it surfaced. That said, many on here have had their flywheels surfaced without any problems, and others have reported that their new clutches wouldn't function correctly with a surfaced flywheel. Please do a search and make up your own mind on this.

It is the burnt clutch smell that is the telling factor.
careful there, you are going to throw off RCP Phx's winning streak of several thousand decent thread answers shot down in one sentence or less ;)

I definitely agree with getting everything done right while you're in there, I hate having to tear something apart again just because I felt cheap the first time and didn't replace all the wear surfaces etc. This is why I bought a full timing chain + front main seal kit for this weekend; I'm not sure if I will have to replace the timing chain but I'd rather have it on hand just in case I do than put the thing back together and then have to do the front main seal and timing chain AND the oil pan all over again when the parts arrive in the mail.

Back