• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I upgrade T-Case chain?

wheelin79cj

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I took my transfer case apart to do a full SYE kit and noticed that the chain had caused some MINOR wear on the case. Figure I would replace the chain, but was considering the heavy duty chain and sprocket set from AA. Is it worth it at 4.5" lift on 32-33" tires? I don't plan on going bigger at this point. What is the point that upgrade is needed? Better to just save $200 and get a rebuild kit? If so, is there a vendor on here that has them for a good price? Sorry to ask so many questions at once, but it is my wife's Jeep and she will be coming home from the middle east really soon and I was hoping to have it done when she got home. Thanks!
-Aaron

Its not that pricey,but I never did it went I put in a 4:1 kit,and I think its starting to show(but hey that was 8yrs ago).

http://jbconversions.com/

Last edited:
Any other sources for them? AA wants $325 and I can get a rebuild for $100 and some change that includes the factory chain. Not a TON of money overall, but I just spent over $3000 getting this thing in the air.
-Aaron

Not sure who makes/sells it, but there are some one here that are running a wider chain.

Nevermind about the prices earlier....Chain is extra on the kits I was looking at for just over $100. Looks like the chain is $100 by itself....hmmm. My gears were a little worn, but not really that bad...I couldn't really feel the indents from the chain....Just BARELY. If I needed the gears this would be a no brainer, but I think mine might hold out. I guess I just need to know when the strength upgrade is needed.

-Aaron

I found the best price on a chain at: national drivetrain - around $80

Right on...I Was thinking while I was searching and surfing....What is the exact procedure to tell if the chain is worn? If it has left 2 shiny lines on the bottom of the case it is probably bad huh? The chain actually appears to be in great shape, but it has been over 10 years since the last time I have had a T-Case apart. (And it wasn't like I did it everyday then either.) Should the edges of the "teeth" on the chain be square or is slightly rounded ok? Just trying to figure out the cheapest, quickest and BEST way to get this thing back together.
-Aaron

Thanks for the replies. Due to time and money constraints I just ordered a stock chain for now. Price wasn't too high and since the factory output shaft and chain have lasted as long as they did I figure the stocker will hold up for awhile and I can change it later if I decide to go that route. It sucks being in a hurry and not having the parts you need...
-Aaron

I cannot remember anyone on this site breaking a chain. I'm sure it happens but not often.
The chain can stretch and jump the sprockets (making a terrible noise) or it can get so loose that it wears a hole in the bottom of the case but they rarely break.

I've seen some broken chains. And when they break it can take pieces of the t-case with it. Not very often that they do tho.

Back