• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 durango 4.7L 160 amp alt in a 99 xj???

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
Will this bolt in??? and is it plug and play in the 99 xj 4.0?

There was some discussion several months ago about the installation of this alternator as an upgrade, but I am not sure if the installation was tried...
At the very least you will need to clearance the mounting brackets the same was that is required to install the 136A alternator from the 98 5.2L ZJ.

ya i feel ya. I'm just curious because i know the alternator from 01'-08' is the same for the durango, which means shouldnt an alternator from either of those years work as well? i just want to make sure the plug is the same. I'm aware of the clearance issue and grinding is ok by me.

It seems that the 160A was an option in place of the 136A, so it may be possible. I've mentioned it to a few people (I have an alternator catalogue that goes up to 2005, along with several other fun little catalogues. Some of them I've written myself!) but no-one has reported back with a definitive answer. I'd like to know if it could be done - and I'd appreciate pictures and a writeup if you do.

Note that, in later years (2001-up,) that a Bosch alternator was sometimes used. I do not believe this will fit - the 160A ND will look like the 136A ND, the 90A ND, and the 117A ND - only larger.

well i found an alternator from an 01 durango that is 160amp and is only $35 shipped! it has the same mounting setup im just not sure of the connector. Since my xj is a 99 it has the plug in connector.

When I installed the 136A from the 98 GC I had to swap the power lead insulator and serpentine belt pulley from the XJ alternator to the ZJ alternator....
You may need to do the same...

Were in the world did you find one that cheap? Ive got a 01 and looking into doing the same thing . Keep us posted .

Why dont you google it! haha. Maybe check FSM for XJ and the durango.
OR, not be a cheap bastard and buy a good quality alternator.
www.highoutputalternator.com
http://www.zena.net/htdocs/alternators/alt_inf.shtml
http://www.mean-green.com/

When I installed the 136A from the 98 GC I had to swap the power lead insulator and serpentine belt pulley from the XJ alternator to the ZJ alternator....
You may need to do the same...
Was this due to clearance? I know that the newer pulleys have an extra rib or 2 but all you ahve to do is palce it from the rear of the pulley to whatever rib is reaches and it will work.

Last edited:
Why dont you google it! haha. Maybe check FSM for XJ and the durango.
OR, not be a cheap bastard and buy a good quality alternator.
www.highoutputalternator.com
http://www.zena.net/htdocs/alternators/alt_inf.shtml
http://www.mean-green.com/

Was this due to clearance? I know that the newer pulleys have an extra rib or 2 but all you ahve to do is palce it from the rear of the pulley to whatever rib is reaches and it will work.

because jeremy spending 300+ dollars on an alternator is out of the question for me right now. Plus im the ultimate deal finder, you know that. Your telling me you wouldnt take an OEM 160amp alternator for 35 bucks shipped?

The ZJ alternator pulley has the extra rib, but the pulley diameter is also different which causes the factory belt not to fit. The power lead insulator has a positioning post on the back that clocks the opening in the wrong direction for the XJ....

Last edited:
because jeremy spending 300+ dollars on an alternator is out of the question for me right now. Plus im the ultimate deal finder, you know that. Your telling me you wouldnt take an OEM 160amp alternator for 35 bucks shipped?
At this point in time I have a 200A alt, so no.

With that much added amperage, you need to upgrade your power cables and install a fusible link. So, in all reality your "cheap venture" Isn't as cheap as you thought it would be.

what why? you jeep is bone stock, you dont need that much haha. however, with my winch, subs, neons, leds, hids, police lights, semi horn, sirens, cb, pa, dvd, 7" monitor, ps3, gps, bluetooth, i need amperage like that! haha. This is what i ended up buying http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390080725542&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Why? Because I got it for a good price, and at the time I needed an alt.

Correct - if you're going to be able to take full advantage of your larger alternator, you're going to need larger wiring. Hit me backchannel, I can help you get sorted.

From what I recall, most (if not all) of the 160A NDs have a 7-rib pully, while the XJ runs a 6-rib belt. No reason to change pullys in that case - just don't use the rib that the belt won't cover (you'll probably run the belt with the outside rib left empty and call it a day. Easier than swapping pullys, and won't cause any harm to your belt.)

With that much added amperage, you need to upgrade your power cables and install a fusible link. So, in all reality your "cheap venture" Isn't as cheap as you thought it would be.

Why? Because I got it for a good price, and at the time I needed an alt.

power cables are cheap, no worries. on a side note, ill be going up to sacremento this fri or mon if you want to tag along. You can work on your jeep up there.

Funny you should say that.. I was thinking about going up, but I gotta go down south this weekend for my grandpa's funeral )=

No reason to change pullys in that case - just don't use the rib that the belt won't cover (you'll probably run the belt with the outside rib left empty and call it a day. Easier than swapping pullys, and won't cause any harm to your belt.)

When I installed the 160A alternator from the 98 5.2L ZJ; I swapped the pulley due to the difference in pulley diameter... It would not fit with the stock serpentine belt....
Swapping pulley's took less than 5 minutes... with an air impact....

When I installed the 160A alternator from the 98 5.2L ZJ; I swapped the pulley due to the difference in pulley diameter... It would not fit with the stock serpentine belt....
Swapping pulley's took less than 5 minutes... with an air impact....

Larger pully, or smaller, than OEM?

The smaller pully would have been necessary to drive the spindle faster (MA = drive pully dia/driven pullly dia) to maximise output. A larger pully would do the opposite (MA would be lower.)

So, the belt swap might not have been a bad idea...

Got pix and notes otherwise?

I just reread what I posted.... there is a TYPO....
Should be 136A instead of 160A.
The serpentine belt that I am running is a Goodyear Poly V for the XJ application.
Unfortunately I did not take any measurements of the pulley diameter, but the 136A does put out more at idle than the original 117A did .....
Since the Poly V belt was new... I decided that it would be cheaper to swap pulleys instead of purchasing another Poly V belt....

Back