• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear knock/rattle- sounds like BPs..

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
so i keep hearing this knock and rattle in the rear of my jeep. i recently replaced the rear leafs with OMEs (i replaced the bushings too). i also installed JKS BPEs and monroe sensatracs. im thinking it could be my brakes? it sounds like a BP rattling and thudding around, if you know what i mean. i had the rear shoes replaced awhile ago- so im lost at what the heck it could be. it started after a weekend trip wheeling. also when i release my brake pedal, i get a squeak from the rear. does it all the time, ive thought nothing of it till now.

thoughts?

Have you checked the dumb stuff first? Like... anything in the cargo area?

Check your shackle bolts, pretty common to come loose during wheelin. The squeek could be the brake pads sliding on the caliper.

exhaust maybe? I swore my exhaust was fine till I realized my hangars were shot and the side of the bend right after the muffler was bashing into the diff housing this spring. Also check if your e-brake cables are rubbing on anything, though I don't see that making so much noise.

I have the same rattling noise thing going on with my OME leafs i just installed. That was maybe 700 miles ago though, and they seem to have quieted down. I had checked everything that I had touched installing the kit, the only thing I could think of was that the new bushings were moving forward and back because of the lithium grease I put in them. Now that it has dried a bit, it seems to have gone away.

that just made me think - I had forgotten, my rearmost exhaust hangar knocks against one of the leaf spring clamps on the OMEs I installed also. I'm pretty sure Khary23 (or someone else, but I think it was him) also noted this problem with his, he ended up moving something around that fixed the issue.

I'm not sure about the squeak from the rear... brake related I'd guess.

exhaust maybe? I swore my exhaust was fine till I realized my hangars were shot and the side of the bend right after the muffler was bashing into the diff housing this spring. Also check if your e-brake cables are rubbing on anything, though I don't see that making so much noise.

My Ebrake cable was banging against the exhaust and was pretty loud. Loud enough that I herd it while driving over bumps. I secured the cable and the noise went away.

hmm ill have to look into this stuff... i was thinking u-joint. then i was doing alittle searching on here and was about to pull my rear driveshaft and lubing where it slides into the tcase. ichecked over everything as far as u-bolts, shock mounts/bpes and everythings snug as a bug in a rug.. so.. ill check the exhaust.

Back