• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3-inch BB, track bar and brake line concerns

X-defector

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I've got a '97 4.0 AW4 with the UpCountry package. This vehicle is my daily driver (I have a built JK for weekend fun), so driveline vibration and things like death wobble are not an option. This lift is being done on a budget and I want it to be solid and cheap without hacking it up or making band-aid approaches.

The rear leafs are still okay, so I won't be replacing those. I'm already up 1 inch due to the UpCountry package. I'll be installing 1.75" spacers and 2" shackles to obtain the lift, as well as a t-case drop just for good measure, bringing the total lift height to 3". Shocks will be recycled Rubicon JK shocks from my other Jeep.

At this height, does the track bar become a problem or is it generally okay in its stock location? I hear you can also re-drill the bracket. Just wondering what I can expect. I want to avoid ill driving effects or binding.

Also, should I be concerned with brake lines? Drop brackets are cheap and easy but I don't know if I'll really need them.

Thanks guys...and yes, I searched. Sometimes you get a whole lot of what you aren't looking for!

I lifted mine by 2.5'', and my axle only shifted over about a half inch. It kinda depends on the jeep IMO. Just lift it, and if the axle shifts over enough to really make a difference, re-drill the bracket and move it over. If you are only re-drilling for a fraction of an inch, you will have to weld up the old hole because the new one will be so close.

Brake lines: I don't know. Might be a good idea to find a truck donor from the boneyard and get longer ones for the future anyway.

Thanks, I was figuring on maybe a re-drill.

I do see that Skyjacker makes a relo bracket for 2-4" lifts, so maybe I'll pick up one of those. I know relo brackets aren't the ideal engineering solution, but this XJ will see infrequent wheeling, and moderate trails at that. I think a bracket would be sufficient for my usage. Just want to cover all the bases.

I know I'll be at the useful limit of the lower control arms at that height also, but I'd really like to avoid having to spring for those. I should be able to keep it close to in-spec @ 3 inches....

For brake lines just undo the screw holding them to the inner fender, straighten the hard line some, and use a self tapper to screw it back in further down. I ran mine on 3" like that and with the swaybar connected, I had no problems.

Thanks, great tip for saving cash.

I'm also second-guessing the track bar relo bracket. I don't know if it's axle-end or frame-end, but I do know it will screw with the track bar/drag link geometry and potentially create bump steer. Skyjacker includes it in their 3-inch kits, so I wonder if it will really be a problem....

If your brake lines are rusty at all, replace em before trying to bend them... and I mean "at all", mine snapped, luckily I had already bought the new precut lines as I expected them to break. Those darn wire coils they put over the line from the factory to protect from crushing/rock damage are great at wicking road salt and water against the tubing and holding it there. It'll cost you like five or ten bucks per line at AZ and if they're rusty you probably should be doing them anyways! The one that goes behind the engine to the right front wheel is a pain, it's easier to move the evap canister out of the way and cut+reflare the original line there, then use a flare junction to link the new section in. If you do that (at least on a 96) you need 20" sections of 3/16 US-threaded brake line on both sides. Get a good double flaring tool and a roller bender for the lines, use the old lines to mock up how you need to bend the new ones and it'll come out great.

New track bar is a good idea so as to avoid wearing tires unevenly. The skyjacker bracket I haven't heard of - I would think either it or a re-drill would do it "good nuff".
Brakelines... relocating the hard lines shoudl be fine. I went with braided lines because I needed / wanted to replace the 11 year old rubber lines regardless of the length issue - I figured, whats a few more bucks to get durable lines at the right length for future build? Quadratec has some nice ones for sale, made by Crown.

i dont have a problem with my jeep. i have zj coils and an 1.75 spacer and my brake lines are fine and my trac bar is fine. if your worried about brake lines then go with chevy brake lines or yj lines

Do not use a trackbar relocation bracket(I have had one here for years that I lend out to Newb's until they figure out it doesnt work,I always get it back).Since you have a 97+ dont be suprised if you get vibes even with a t-case drop or a H-n-T sye kit!

Too bad I didn't check in earlier....while ordering some other stuff I picked up the Skyjacker bracket ($25 with free shipping, what the hell). Sounds like they are a piece of crap, guess I won't use it and take it back. So what, exactly, is so craptacular about them anyway?

I guess my anal retentive side is worried about getting a hole drilled in the factory bracket with perfect alignment....:wierd:

Back