• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Q Ind. MV50 air compressor???

johnferg69

NAXJA Forum User
My job has a safety points program that works sorta like Green Stamps(Boy, thats really dating myself LOL) Found a Q Industries MV50 portable air compressor I can get. Looks nice in the pix and description.
Anyone know anything about em???

sweetest portable 12v compressor for under $150 or so. Until someone steals it :(
They run 60 bucks at pep boys or from amazon, if that helps you gauge the point value.
Lot of folks picked them up for 25 ea on closeout from checkers a couple years back so if you google you might see that price, but definitely not any more.

i have a friend who has one under the hood of his TJ and he loves it. fills a 33x12.5x15 from 8 to 30 in 2.5 minutes. hes had it forever. i got one and it was DOA and a pain to get my money back from pep boys.

I just ordered one today. There are articles on the web as how to port the intake, up grade wiring, and tap to 1/4 NPT. I'm ready for a new project, so come Tuesday, I will hot rod the MV-50:)

It is a good compressor for sure.

I have 2 of them ganged together behind the left rear inner plastic panel where the spare tire mount was.

The sliders I built double as air tanks, hooked together and a pressure switch to control the compressors.

I am always the 1st to be re-inflated and heading down the road after a run.
(granted I'm on 31's)

My first one worked awesome and was abused like a $5 whore for about 5 years. Eventually it threw a rod, and I bought a second one. If it does, I'll buy a third..

Do us all a favor, and run a base line test to measure any gains from modifying the pump.

A couple guys on a local board made some changes to their pumps and reported no significant changes in air-up time: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?19121-SuperFlow-MV-50-air-compressor

One guy did mention that his wiring did not get as hot. For no other gain, I'll leave mine stock. :dunno:

Thanks for the link. I will test it when I get it and look it over. I do have to pull the head to tap for 1/4 npt, but after reading your link, I might just leave the ports alone if my inflation times are decent. I have 31's. Will report initial results Wed.

Got my pump in today. It is the Master Flow MF-1050, which is supposed to be an MV-50 with a different name. Made by the same company.

I deflated my Duratracs (31x10.5) to 13psi. Started the Jeep, hooked up the pump and did a 2 minute test.
The pump is really quiet and didn't hop around. At the end of two minutes, the air pressure was 32. I am happy:)

I took the head off. The reed valves are now attached to the head with phillips scews, not rivets. Easy to replace now. There didn't seem to be much lube in the cylinder, so I used some mil spec silicone gease on the cylinder wall and piston "ring" (some type of plastic/rubber).

I'm going to leave this as is. I'm not even going to tap to 1/4 npt: I don't trust Chinese metallurgy enough to risk tapping the head.

I'm sold on these little dudes!

I think that is the one I have. The first time I walked it up a trail to someone else's truck, I was happy I bought it.

Wonders of wonders: the quick connect fitting that comes on it takes our standard air couplers! There have been other improvements since the original 2006 reviews. Mine is the master flow mf-1050. Way to go master flow.

I love mine... its a frickin work horse, and has been going strong for over three years.
Not the fastest pump in the world, and may get a little hot in the summer, but it WORKS....and thats all that matters to me.
Takes my 33x12.50's from 10 to 35 in about 5 min. ea.
got mine thru Walmart Online of all places, payed less than $60 shipped to the closest store to me. Couldn't be happier.
I keep telling myslef that I'll put a more reliable gauge on it, and replace the connectors with a more standard set up, but MEH.

Just picked up a MF-1050 from a pawn shop for $30. hope it works well. glad to see some decent reviews of the little guy. thinking of mounting it in the cargo area and cutting out one of the plastic panels on the side.

Back