• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slight stumble on first start of the day, Ideas?

962drrhino

NAXJA Forum User
So my first start of every day, after I shift into gear, I give it gas to get going and it stumbles, for just one second. I prime the fuel pump several times before start, same issue. This has only started recently when the temperture has been down around 50 F overnight. I'm afarid its going to get worse as the temperature drops down lower. Any ideas??

96 4.0.

List of parts replaced recently:
CPS
CTS
Both 02's
Plugs, wires, cap+rotor.

Check the MAT sensor, hot and cold against FSM spec. Or just replace it.

Thanks ecomike, clarify for me which sensor is the MAT. I'm assumeing its the "air charge temperature sensor"?

Yes, it has been called many names, varies between the FSM, aftermarket computers, and so on. Autozone calls it an IAT, Intake Air Temp (IIRC), MAT is Manifold Air temp, but come to think of it, it may be Air Charge Temp Sensor that Autozone calls it. I forget, but it has three valid names that I know of, and those are the ones, all valid names for the same bloody part.

Te origin of the different names may lie with the Big three and others like Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi,.. calling it a different name in the early days.

check your ignition coil. mine did the exact same thing until it crapped out. put a salvage one in and hasnt done it since. mine had good resistance on it too, but the casing had like ten cracks thru the plastic.

Thanks mike. Yeah its $19.00, thats not bad. I can throw that at it! Now a MAP, , , thats $100. That would hurt!
Thanks again.. Will post results.

$100 for a MAP :gag:, who quoted you that heinous price? I hear they almost never die, nearly indestructible. Grab a few at the JY.

Trippled, his problem is only cold, first morning starts, dead giveaway a bad thermal sensor, CTS or MAT.

Back