• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ome rear leaf ?

cherokeefan_1

NAXJA Forum User
Hello there. I am looking at new rear leafs for my 91 xj. Has 300k miles and the old springs are shot. Lots of towing/heavy hauling has taken its toll. I did add a second xj main and second leaf awhile back but the packs dont take much weight to flatten out or even reverse. Does anybody have pics with of their ride with the ome cs035ra packs? How about cs035rb packs? I want to stay under 3.5" lift. Also ome recomends one of each a and b pack to offset driver weight. Is this necessary? I was thinking of the cs035rb packs with a set of ome AAL added to increase the rate before the overloads. I am currently making front/rear bumpers with the rear having a tire carrier. I was also thinking of the ome 934 front springs or moog cc 784's. I dont mind a stiff ride as I am used to performance handling cars. I haul quite a bit of weight at all times 100-150lbs minimum. Stereo gear,tire,tools, etc... If more clarification is needed just ask.

Basically what I am asking is if the cs035rb with aal will have enough rate to not ride on the overloads all the time without a trailer but with the extra weight I haul. I am currently at 18.5" in front and 19" rear from hub center to bottom of flare. I run a np242 and looking to not go to high as to avoid vibes. Any help or info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance:worship::us:

I put cso34ra's on my 95. Gave mE 2 1/2" lift as advertised. OME advertises the cs035ra's at 2" lift. Seems to me that the cs035b's w/AAL would be a good choice. I use BDS 2" coils up front and they are great,but a little stiff for some people. With your choice in leafs, I think it be a very balanced combo. Good luck on your decision.

I used CS035RA on both sides, I have 2.5" lift with a bunch of random junk in the back (less than 75lbs probably) but they haven't really been broken in yet. OME934 springs are on a UPS truck and getting installed tonight - I'll be taking pictures as soon as it's done hopefully.

ps - buy new bolts, you want 4 leaf eye/shackle bolts for sure and probably U-bolts (4, make sure you get the ones for the right axle, check if you have a d35 or a chrysler 8.25 before ordering), it makes the job so much easier. You may also want to use YJ rubber brake lines as they are a few inches longer, you can get away with using the stock ones but it's cutting it a little close. Also, unbolt the bottom ends of your shocks while installing, it helps a lot getting the springs in there if you don't have a lift.

i have the 34ras and they gave me around 3" in the rear, wheeled them the day after i installed them and they still sit around 3" they worked well and she drives great. im not running OME shocks, but a set of monroes and she handles well. heres a coupld pics..

rc2945.jpg

rc2951.jpg

rc2957.jpg

I think it'd depend on how fat you are :roll: if you're crazy huge, it'll sit level or even sag on that side, if you're somewhere in the middle (no idea on actual weight) it'll sit level, if you're a skinny guy like me it'll sit crooked.

I'll be taking pictures tomorrow morning once I'm in the level parking lot at work and it's light out.

I looked this up...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/springs-heights-their-spring-rates-613756/

If you look at the section for OME leafs, it seems the A and B suffixes just mean different free-standing heights, there is no difference in spring rate. I'm guessing you would want to put the taller one on the driver side, if you think that the driver's weight is going to put an extra few hundred pounds on the rear wheel. Looking at this table, the coil marked A is supposed to go on the driver side... I hope I put mine there, I didn't even think to check.

I never thought it had so much to do with the weight distribution, but with how the vehicle torques to one side when you hit the gas....since it is an inline-6, it rocks/torques pretty good to one side when you go :D

I guess it also has to do with where you have your spare tire mounted....never really gave this much thought. I think my "A" coil is on the passenger side, and I sit pretty level....

As for the rear, I have the same leaf pack on both sides, w/ the OME AAL in each. I sit level in the back too....

i bought the 035ra's for both sides... im a pretty heavy guy and shit still sits level regardless. i believe the Bs are the HD springs for towing and such. the As are medium duties. leaf springs are not side specific..

A/B have the same spring rate though, just different heights. 035RA is 1" taller than 035RB - the 035RAs are sold by Qtec as 2" lift Heavy Load springs. I'm not sure what the 035RBs are sold as, probably just 2" lift springs or Heavy Load, not both.

I think I might try using both cs035RB's on both sides and add the extra D22xl to both sides to increase the rate and lift it to the cs035RA height which is roughly 1" over the cs035RB. That way I have a higher load capacity than the cs035RA's with the same lift height of them. Does this seem correct or am I missing something. Also where can I get the best deal on these shipped to my door? Also cant decide on the moog cc 784 or the ome 934. Thanks for all the help.

That sounds just fine. Before i bought my OME springs, i did a little looking around for price variations and didn't find much. Their market availability is pretty controlled, so the prices don't vary much. I went with DPG offroad, as most on naxja do, since they are supporters of the jeep community.

The OME AAL is a good option to use with their leaf spring packs, since they are engineered to work together. Just make sure if you use an AAL, either use the leaf liners or pads on the ends of the AAL.

As for front coils, the Moog's are like half the price of the OME's....so it's up to you. Their lift is pretty equivalent

I never thought it had so much to do with the weight distribution, but with how the vehicle torques to one side when you hit the gas....since it is an inline-6, it rocks/torques pretty good to one side when you go :D

Bear in mind that OME were designed in Australia where they have RHD vehicles, so you have the torque action AND the driver weight all to the same side, hence why they say the A-spring go on the driver side and the B-spring on the passenger side. I drive a RHD Jeep (see my location) and had my Jeep leaning to the right even with the A-springs on that side and I don't weight that much, so there is definately merit in the engine torqueing to the right.

RB's are considered "light load"
RA's are considered "HD"

This isn't entirely true - the CS034R springs are the "light load" ones, i.e. it doesn't have an overload spring, but yet their spring rate is higher than the initial spring rate of the CS035R springs and thus they give more lift. The CS035R springs have the overload spring and can carry a higher overall load because of this and thus they are called "medium load" springs, but their spring rate up to the point where the overload spring comes into action is less than the CS034R springs.

The A and B is purely the indication of the free camber of the spring, i.e. how heavily it is arched and have no indication on the spring rate. The OME catalog suggests the A generally going on the driver side.

Here's a few excerpts from the OME catalog:

OMEguide.jpg

OMEleafs.jpg

OME.jpg

Bear in mind that OME were designed in Australia where they have RHD vehicles, so you have the torque action AND the driver weight all to the same side, hence why they say the A-spring go on the driver side and the B-spring on the passenger side. I drive a RHD Jeep (see my location) and had my Jeep leaning to the right even with the A-springs on that side and I don't weight that much, so there is definately merit in the engine torqueing to the right.

This isn't entirely true - the CS034R springs are the "light load" ones, i.e. it doesn't have an overload spring, but yet their spring rate is higher than the initial spring rate of the CS035R springs and thus they give more lift. The CS035R springs have the overload spring and can carry a higher overall load because of this and thus they are called "medium load" springs, but their spring rate up to the point where the overload spring comes into action is less than the CS034R springs.

The A and B is purely the indication of the free camber of the spring, i.e. how heavily it is arched and have no indication on the spring rate. The OME catalog suggests the A generally going on the driver side.

Here's a few excerpts from the OME catalog:
<images snipped>
:worship: I'd consider this a definitive answer... thanks! great info.

Ok I got a set of cs035rb's from DPG. Came in waaaaay sooner than expected. One question for those that run the ome hd leaf springs. Is the bottom overload suppose to curve very slightly in the opposite direction of the main pack? Most overload's I have seen are straight. I also picked up 2 sets of ome extra leafs and the 934 coils. The coils dont appear to be made of very thick wire, hope they are much stiffer than stock xj springs. Now I just need extended brake lines, a pass. rear d44 shaft, u-bolts and a bunch of steering parts. Hope to get it all in before another "ARCTIC BLAST" hits the NW.

You got OME leafs with an "overload" leaf? Care to post up a pic of that?

As for the OME 934s, I believe they are rated at 180lbs, while stockers are somewhere around 150. I run the 934s and they are still netting me over 3" of lift after a year of running them....

Sorry no pics, I'll see if I can borrow a camera. Also which end of the ome aal's goes to the front? There is a tapered side and one that is squared off.

Back