• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FML Still Wobbling :-X

xthejuicex

NAXJA Forum User
Arg. So over the past 4 days straight Ive been working on my Jeep trying to fix both a wheel bearing/hub issue and death wobble at around 35mph. So I got new axles, new left axle hub/bearing, new upper track bar mount, and a new track bar (OEM). Got every thing finally installed and took it for a spin. It didn't wobble that much at first then got worse and wobbled a lot at 30-35. I tightened the bolt at the bottom of the trackbar with an impact wrench and it broke the bolt. Awesome. Got a new bolt, tightened it with hand tools and it would vibrate still. Tightened it more with hand tools and it broke. Even awesomeer. So I am going to try and get a stronger bolt and tighten the shit out of it and see if that works. I think the main reason it is doing this is that the hole for the lower bolt of the trackbar is very f'ed up. This MSPaint picture sorta shows how it is and should be.

10qzc3q.jpg

So is the the main cause of the wobbling. Will a strong enough bolt be good enough to hold it. Or should I get someone to weld in a piece of metal that has a hole that is the right size onto it.

Thanks for the help.

Also forgot to add that my jeep is lifted 4.5 inches and is on 33's

Last edited:
bolt being tightened the piss out of wont help i can think of, probalby best is weld a piece of plate there to fix the ovaled hole

Fix the problem(weld it),and "torque" the bolt to spec!

Doesn't matter how tight you get a bolt, if it's in a wallowed out hole. Fix it so at least the front side fits the bolt.

Secondly, that's one hard flippin' bolt, IIRC metric 12.9 or some such. I haven't found a bolt that hard in the hardware stores.

weld it! you dont want to kill that thing with torque or you will destroy your bushing.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a welder myself and would have to go somewhere to have someone do it for me. How bad would it be to drive without the track bar. Would my steering be all over the place and be un-driveable? Thanks.

BAD!!! it keeps your axle from flying left and right!!!! as in keeps it under the vehicle... you will be all over the place! DO NOT TRY IT!

you could also upgrade to a 1/2" bolt, from the 10mm that is there. should drill out the wallered part out and use a bigger bolt. RE makes a bushing kit to do this.

If your not up for all that. put it together with a new bolt, and get some nice washers to go behind the bolt head and the nut. put it together, then you can wobble your way to the muffler shop and have them wel the washers in place. Definatly dont drive without your trackbar. my heim ripped loose once and i was steering hand over hand as fast as i could. jeep wouldnt turn, the axle was just shifting sideways under the jeep. Makes me wonder why they didnt triangulate the uppers? I bet you a bean counter had something to do with it.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a welder myself and would have to go somewhere to have someone do it for me. How bad would it be to drive without the track bar. Would my steering be all over the place and be un-driveable? Thanks.

Pretty much undrivable and you would be endangering the lives of everyone on the road.

Just think of how bad it is to drive with only that small of a wallowed out hole, just think how much worse it would be without it there period.

Without a track bar, your steering will act as the track bar. It doesn't like that.

Thats mine...same thing as you. Wallowed-out hole. I just cut a plate and welded it...I only did the front though. The backside is still wallowed but, I dont care :D When I pulled the factory bolt it for some reason destroyed the factory nut, and I couldnt use that sweet self-holding nut again...

I planned on upgrading to a 7/16" bolt but couldn't find an appropriate bushing, just ended up going with the RE bushing.

ps. If that pictures accurate, your track bar is pretty bent :D

Last edited:
Back