• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling an axle on an 8.8?

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
How do I pull an axle on the Ford 8.8? I'm headed to a junkyard tomorrow that is about 65 miles from home, so I won't be able to go home for the one tool I forgot or something stupid like that. I want the rear brake calipers, rotors and backing plates so I need to be able to pull the rear axle.

I assume the is a C-clip, can I just pull the cover, pull the clips and remove the axle? Anything else to watch for?

TIA-
Shane

Yeah, you'll have to pull the cover, pull the cross pin bolt, and pull out the cross pin. Then push the shafts in towards the diff, and the c clips will fall out. Then you can pull the shafts out of the housing.

Sometimes the clips can be a little stubborn.
Do yourself a favor and bring a small telescoping magnet to grab them with.

If it has a Traction Loc rear diff in it, it can be kinda tricky----that big "S" shaped spring can make getting the c-clips out difficult--------Hans

Do yourself a reallllly big favor and make sure you have a "GOOD" 8mm box-end wrench to loosen the bolt that holds the crosspin in place.

Trust me,if you bring cheap tools you will regret it.

Back