• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Pinion. I am an asshat

cjwalkeriii

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I did something dumb. I pulled the yoke of my dana 30 to change the seal, but I did not mark the nut for re torquing. What should I do? Is there a spec I can go by or do I just try my luck and see what happens. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

it is 210 ft lbs, then test with an inch/lb tourqe wrench... you want to keep increasing until you get 6 in/lbs resistance.

it is 210 ft lbs, then test with an inch/lb tourqe wrench... you want to keep increasing until you get 6 in/lbs resistance.

That is correct but, the 6 in/lb pinion preload is without the wheels/drums,rotors, calipers and axle shafts installed. The drag from the brakes can greatly change the preload reading. If you're just changing the pinion seal and the pinion and/or pinion shims weren't removed all you need to do is re-torque.

If you're just changing the pinion seal and the pinion and/or pinion shims weren't removed all you need to do is re-torque.

That would depend on what year it is.

The size I used to get mine off was a 29mm. Just got to a local parts store and rent a front axle socket set. They should range from 28 to 38mm.

Back