• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough riding jeep any help here

mfds91cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 xj that has a rubicon express 5.5 inch lift with a added two inches and 33 inch thorn bird swampers. I put new shocks in front and rear and still rides like i dont have shocks at all on the street or dirt roads. what can i do to soften up the ride and make it handle the trails better too.

if you didnt have shocks it would ride like a "pogo stick" bouncing uncontrollably.

how did you add 2 inches to the re kit? ive run re parts and they have always had a nice ride "after breaking them in"

i bought it with this lift and it looks like they used spacers in the front to level the kit off. it has 27 inch long shocks es3000 pro comp. new sway bar bushings and tie rods are next. has a rustys steering bar. and it is not the long arm kit

well if you want a better ride youll need long arms or drop brackets for the control arms. a steep control arm angle causes a rough ride since more of the bumps are transferred to the body and not the suspension.

shocks could also be valved for a f-900 big-bro truck... did you buy them from a reputable, or at least intelligent source>?q

welcome to the site

I'm sure the tires don't help with the ride. Swampers are big heavy tires. I have TSL's on mine and it rides like a tank. Put on some nice light A/T's and it's a whole different truck.

I was thinking i wanted the long arm kit anyways. should i just use the RE long arm upgrade or do someone else long arms. the RE kit is a little over a 1000. The shackles are straight up and down, tires i think are at 45 PSI. The drop bracket is that a good route to go or is it the cheap way?

I was thinking i wanted the long arm kit anyways. should i just use the RE long arm upgrade or do someone else long arms. the RE kit is a little over a 1000. The shackles are straight up and down, tires i think are at 45 PSI. The drop bracket is that a good route to go or is it the cheap way?

Drop brackets are a good route if you can't affor Long Arms. Rear shackle drops will help also.
Your tires are WAY over inflted, redude to 25-30lbs, ride and tire life will be improved.

As mentioned, Drop Brackets or Long Arms will GREATLY help the ride. You can get RC DBs for under $200.
My MJ is at 6" with DBs, 35"TSL SSRs @ around 24psi street, and it rides about as smooth as stock! Any more air than that and they wear unevenly.

Keep in mind tire pressure is more about the volume of air than the actual PSI. For example, if you still have the stock tire pressure sticker on the door, notice there are a few different sizes listed. The bigger sizes usually take less pressure than the smaller. Either way, as a general rule of thumb, never go by the max PSI on the sidewall, go by what was originally recommended for your vehicle for the tire size you are running. Of course there's no listing for a 33" tire, but it will be a lower pressure than stock.

Keep in mind with the DBs though, if you have fixed RE arms, you will probably need shorter arms or adjustables or they may be too long (depending on the amount of lift they were originally for).

Last edited:
at 25 psi, my tsl's get a noticeable bulge on the bottom, which to me says there's too little air for the street. I would think that would lead to uneven wear.

you might be right though about running lower pressures, i'm just throwing that out there.

45 PSI is too high. Generally, larger tires need less air than stock size tires.

I had some new tires put on recently and I immediatly knew that they put too much air in them by the stiff ride. They put 40 PSI in 30" tires.

thank you guys i am going to take some air out and most likely do the drop brakets for now till i can afford a long arm conversion. anyone have any imput on The rusty's offroad long arm kit? and where can i get nice burley body armor?

Also i think the jeep has about 7 inchs of lift. I have had many cherokees but this is the first i have bought already lifted and now i have to fine tune it and replace all the wore out stuff. the lift appears to have been on for awhile 6 months to a year or wheeled alot lol.

Back