• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend Trail Rig -- AXLE STRENGTH

zPike00EB

NAXJA Forum User
With the help of some members on this site, I've narrowed my search down to a 97+ XJ for the 8.25 rear end. I've selected a 5.5" Extreme-Duty Long arm kit from Rubicon express, and will absolutely get F+R Lockers for it.

My question is, is the XJ the best canidate?

Obviously there is going to be biased opinion's from the site, and that's expected. I'd LOVE to run locked 35s, and from what I understand, the Dana 30, even with HP can barely handle locked 33s.

Please note that I have NO FABRICATION skills, and know no welders. Installing lifts and lockers is about as far as I can go, if I'm lucky.

I also understand that the Grand Cherokee's come with a Dana 35 up front. Could this be a better canidate for me?

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot
--Zack

Dana 30s can "handle" up to 37'' tires. It will be fine with 35s if you polish it.

Grands do not come with a 35 front axle. They come with a inferior Dana 30. No such thing as a front Dana 35 in the Jeep world.

If you're going 5.5" and 35's, you might want to avoid the 2000-2001 models, since the front axle is low pinion, and will not be quite as strong, and additionally will have a higher angle on the front driveshaft.

Kinda depends what your going to us the rig for. If abuse is in your game plan, you might want to think about alloy axle shafts w/ 30 spline's front and rear.

you have the right idea. polishing it would be adding strength upgrades such as shafts, good u-joints and maybe a truss etc.

Well now you've got me all excited again :wow:

I deffinately want locked 35" TSL/SX's.

I'm really considering the RE 5.5" Long-Arm Suspension lift, but will the extra travel be justified if I'm stuffing rubber all over the place?

Is there any 7-8" Long arm kit?

Well now you've got me all excited again :wow:

I deffinately want locked 35" TSL/SX's.

I'm really considering the RE 5.5" Long-Arm Suspension lift, but will the extra travel be justified if I'm stuffing rubber all over the place?

Is there any 7-8" Long arm kit?
Aolly shafts or longfeilds, a full case locker, 4.56s, and a truss with a good thick cover. Those mods will create a pretty stout D30.

So then for 35" TSL/SX's.. they recommend a wheel that is 15x10-12.

The tire itself is 15.5" wide.

What backspacing should I run with these meats?

3.35 BS but those are wide tires for the axle - i would stay in the 12.5 range unless you get a killer deal - it will but more stress on the u joints... with 760x u joints when i had 35's that was the weak point especially on downward slopes when the front end get more weight

if your not planning on regearing with those 35s i wouldn't be too worried about breaking anything.

i ran 35s locked f/r on stock axles for about 2 years with no problems. 35s on stock gears doesn't have enough ass to really get the tires going enough to break anything. just what ive seen

Back