• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guess who needs a new radiator

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
Well today my mech fan decided to collide with my radiator and now i need a new radiator. I guess I'm finally going to convert the cooling system on my 87. The only problem is that i don't know much if anything about radiators. All i Know is to avoid plastic units. I don't have that much money to spend right now as this could not have happened at a worst time. I am also looking to dump the mech fan so this won't happen again. Could you guys help me out with maybe a parts list of what I may need to convert my cooling system? The cooling system i have currently is a closed system, correct?

If the fan hit the radiator, you should also check out your motor and tranny mounts.

Especially the tranny mount, but yes, check all the mounts. I would stick with the mechanical clutch, but if going all electric I hear the Ford Taurus dual Efan in the JY is your ticket. Many here have used it. The Pontiac GP has a dual efan too, but I don't know if it is a good physical fit. The CSF 3 row all brass/copper metal radiator is the best IMHO. Radiatorbarn.com and one of our sponsors (DPG offroad?) here has them for about $170.

And yes it is a closed system.

You mean the one currently out of stock :D

You need to first find out why it hit your radiator. Fix that first. Closed vs open system, both are OK, both are still used by manufacturers today, Ford uses them as does VW and others.
The plastic rads are OK, brass tanks are better but if you are tight money wise you may want to go OEM type.

It probably was the tranny mount that did it if anything. I'm not really short on cash at the moment, but I think that i may be losing my job. Somehow saturday my cash was 20 bucks short and the days prior my mangers were acting very odd. It may sound weird but it feels as though they were plotting against me, I still have not gotten my schedule for this week.

You can do a lot better than NAPA price wise. Check radiator.com

Somehow saturday my cash was 20 bucks short and the days prior my mangers were acting very odd. It may sound weird but it feels as though they were plotting against me, I still have not gotten my schedule for this week.

well I know you can't get a radiator for $20.00, so you might as well give it back:D

just 'cuz you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you (but make sure you take enough for a radiator if you're gonna short the till)

well I know you can't get a radiator for $20.00, so you might as well give it back:D

just 'cuz you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you (but make sure you take enough for a radiator if you're gonna short the till)

I wouldn't risk my job for twenty bucks, the problem is the people i work with are dumber than a bag of hammers, I swear to God their 25yr old son can't spell his name without making a mistake.

Back