• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel backspacing info needed

Warlock1

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks! Just a quick question.

I have a '91 Cherokee Laredo with ABS, 33"x12.50" tires, and 4" lift. I will be buying new wheels very soon and need to know what backspacing I will need. I have used the search function in a couple of the forums, including this one, and could not find the exact answer that I am looking for. Also, I am familiar with the theory of backspacing and fully understand it.

The details are;

I will be going to a 6.5" lift with long arm conversion and eventually an over the knuckle steering setup soon. I am looking for the new wheels to clear this OTK setup. I want to stay with steel 15" wheels. I like the advantages of big sidewalls.

I have found that the stock aluminum wheels are about 4 3/4" - 5" backspacing. I pulled the front wheel off and took a straight edge and placed it on the part of the rotor that the wheel mounts to and measured 3 1/4" to the part of the knuckle that the tie rod end mounts through ("steering arm" for lack of a better term).

I know from research, that you want the wheel to clear this part of the knuckle because the Heim joints on the OTK steering setups are larger and sit higher and can easily hit the wheel if it doesn't have enough offset. I know that the above measurements tells me that a 3" - 3 1/4" backspacing would be perfect theoretically.

I looked at the Cragar V-5 wheel and they have 3 3/4" offset. That would put the edge of the rim about halfway into the steering arm area, about halfway across the nut for the tie rod.

I also looked at the Cragar Soft 8's and their offset is 4", even worse.

I'm thinking about the Areo 50 series 15"x10" with 3" backspacing.

What are the wheel specs that you guys with OTK setups are running?
What do you think?

Thanks guys!
Robert

i would be very weary of a 3inch back spacing wheel with 33/12.5s on it the added force on the wheel bearings are going to hate that!

ive run 3.5 and 3.75 and now 4in i liked the 3.75s the most! i wouldnt think you would need more than 3.75 to clear heims.

the stock bs on my wheels were 5.25....

Thanks DesertRunner. I was kinda thinking the same thing with 3" BS but was not sure. I was kinda looking for someone who has actually had first hand experience with the OTK setup and what BS their running.

Anyone else?

Man, how do I edit the title of this thread? I can't seem to figure it out.

Back