• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tie rod end, BFH?

xray1971

NAXJA Forum User
Remove cotter pin, nut - then apply BFH? Just checking-
tierodend.jpg

Actually a sharp rap on the side of the knuckle tends to pop them loose better than banging on the nut. Make sure and leave the nut on or the tie rod may drop and scare the crap out of you.

Use the BFH on the knuckle, on the side, never on the stud. Use a big hammer with a steel head that you can swing handily. A small hand sledge or a big ball peen. If possible put a pickle fork in, or use some kind of leverage to put the tie rod under some tension. It doesn't have to be much, and it's optional. Leave the nut on loosely so it doesn't fall out when it releases, and then hit the outside edge of the knuckle good and hard until the stud pops out.

PB blaster then try hitting it on all 3 side corners. That will get the PB blaster into the cracks. Then put the castle nut on down to where its close to flat with the stud and give it a whack or two. If it doesn't pop out, hit the sides again. Once the PB Blaster sets in, it should fall out.

The hit on the side as mentioned, is an old mechanic's trick. When my uncle showed me that it was a revelation. After all the hours of my life I spent wailing on pickle forks....:flamemad:

Use the BFH on the knuckle, on the side, never on the stud. Use a big hammer with a steel head that you can swing handily. A small hand sledge or a big ball peen. If possible put a pickle fork in, or use some kind of leverage to put the tie rod under some tension. It doesn't have to be much, and it's optional. Leave the nut on loosely so it doesn't fall out when it releases, and then hit the outside edge of the knuckle good and hard until the stud pops out.

x2

Back