• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob Lift Question (ok a few)

mattlago

NAXJA Forum User
I searched, but there is SOOOO much info, I have just a specific question. I have a 96 XJ 4.0. Scored a Rough Country 3 inch lift used on Craigslist for $100. It was the coils and full leaf pack. Guy said it was 3 inch lift and it is stenciled with "rough country" on it so I hope it actually is. Edit, guy also gave me shackles.

Any ways, all I have is the coils and packs. I know I need new u bolts but what size? Also, was going to get shock extenders, anyone think those are a bad idea? Is there anything else I need to get? Brake line extension or can I just remount? These are the questions I am most concerned about. The following is gravy on potatoes...

Finally, may be a few days before I get the 12 pack boys over to help me with lift, so thinking of going to get the tires. I am torn between 31 and 33's . Dont want to cut into body as it is pristine. Should I just go with 31's? Can I mount 31's for a week or so till I get lift in (I know may rub a little) as I am showing 235/75 which i think converts to a 28 inch tire is on there now.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get tires until you get the lift on b/c then i would go 33s ha.

As far as u-bolts just measure the ones on there now and figure out how much thicker the new rear springs are that you are going to use to figure out what you need, the stock ones might even work.

With 3" lift you will need to trim your fenders if you run 33's..Stay with 31.. Go to rough country, download the instructions on what you need to install

If you're going with 31"s, you can get the tires before you lift. Just don't wheel it until you get the springs under it.
At 3 inches, you should get extended brake lines. Try searching here for Wrangler or YJ brake lines.
Shock extensions probably won't work for you if you're wheeling it. you'll bottom out the shocks and blow 'em out.
Try checking out the info here:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm
Also, look over this page. Gojeep has excellent writeups on about everything.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

Welcome to the club!

Any ways, all I have is the coils and packs. I know I need new u bolts but what size? Also, was going to get shock extenders, anyone think those are a bad idea? Is there anything else I need to get? Brake line extension or can I just remount? These are the questions I am most concerned about. The following is gravy on potatoes...

You will need to either get a new adjustable TB or relocate the stock one. Also I would do new shocks instead of extenders. You can relocate the brake lines but extended is the way to go. Like stated you may be able to use the old U bolts but new ones are always better. You may get some drive line vibes so you may need a t case drop or a SYE. It may not be a bad idea to get some longer lower control arms too. Most of this is not absolutely necessary but recommended, put the lift get new shocks and go from there.

im gonna DISSAGREE w/ both these...
You will need to either get a new adjustable TB or relocate the stock one.
At 3 inches, you should get extended brake lines.

but agree on this. you must read carefully on go-jeep though, some of his articles are for RHD jeeps, its clearly labeled as such, but people miss that part.
at 3", you can re-shape the brake hardline and have plenty of reach... 3.5 is another story.
Also, look over this page. Gojeep has excellent writeups on about everything.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

Welcome to the club!

Back