• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who here still has the rubber mat that goes under the engine bay?

kendrick

NAXJA Forum User
And how important is it? Due to an ongoing slight coolant leak that I had trouble tracking I finally tore mine off. All it is was doing was letting coolant pool on it and evaporate so I thought it was an intermitant leak. After taking it off I can get the jeep to leave a spray of drops in line with the belt, so I'm thinking water pump leak. I did get 105K out of the water pump, so it was probably due anyway.

On another note how many miles has everyone gotten out of the stock exhaust? I'm at 105K like I said. It's rusty and there is finally a small hole in the muffler, so I think I can get another winter out of it. (fingers crossed). When I do replace it what's everyones fravorite replacement?

Any advice is appreciated.

Kendrick

My 98 is still somewhat in place but thats mainly because it's sandwiched between the radiator mount and the front skid.
I had my muffler replaced on my 98, 384,000mi, I reused the pipes but had to replace a hanger.

Believe it or not mine is in excellent condition. I think it stills has all the original fasteners attached.(I would've rather had a skid plate though. )

And this was a northern jeep with 150,000 miles.

i tossed mine at 87k. went to change the alternator and tore the mounting holes up while removing it. its been gone about 5 years i guess. if you live somewhere where the roads are salted or it rains alot i would replace it just to keep crap out of the alternator if nothing else.

Mine's mostly still there, but was tore up from having the steering box replaced (just not sure if CarMax did it or the Jeep dealer that finally fixed the truck right). I'm still running teh factory exhaust on mine with just over 131k on it and have had to buy a exhaust clamp to hold the tail pipe to the hanger. It needs a new exhaust bad but will probably wait until it falls off or I can save up more money. It will need new tires first though.

I replaced the rubber engine mat on my 95 a couple of years ago. It was getting pretty ratty and was torn in a couple of places. I would think it helps keep the engine compartment dry and wards off at least some dirt.

As to the exhaust. Mine went 150,000 miles (12 years at the time) before I had to replace it. I did the cat, muffler, back section of tailpipe, hanger bolts, bracket and rubber mount. I used what the shop had in stock for it. Now (2 1/2 years later) the rear pipe is rusting pretty bad. Don't think I will get close to what the oem one did. In fact, if I had it to do today, I would pay the extra and get one of the stainless cat back systems that are out there.

I took mine off after it got damaged and was flapping around. It's much easier to work on now. I dunno about exhaust, as I've replaced mine 3 or 4 times and it was never broken :)

My original was still on my '01 with 157K, but was removed when I swapped the engine last month. One of my MJs has a factory metal skid in place of the rubber mat - I'd like to find another one of those for my XJ.

I still have my rubber mat, as for exhaust, I got the cheapo ($36 before shipping) OEM style muffler from RockAuto and booger welded it onto my original exhaust pipe (still learning to weld :anon:), had to replace all 3 exhaust hangars as well. Fabbed those up using AZ parts (for rear rubber loop + metal strap hangar) and U-bolt clamps + 1/2" round steel bar stock from Home Depot.

I ripped mine off a couple years ago, but noticed that it was impossible to keep the engine bay reasonably clean. I also noticed an increase in engine temp and it seems to be related to the thing being gone and some turbulence created behind the rad not allowing proper airflow. Made one out of aluminum flashing and it works great.

I'll see what I can do - PM me in a couple days if I don't get back to you, my front coils are supposedly being delivered tomorrow and I will be under there anyways as a result.

i tossed mine at 87k. went to change the alternator and tore the mounting holes up while removing it. its been gone about 5 years i guess. if you live somewhere where the roads are salted or it rains alot i would replace it just to keep crap out of the alternator if nothing else.

Good point, maybe I should replace it before winter.

I'm running mine in my 90 because the RENIX closed system works too good and the engine stays too cool for me. I run the grill blocked off from October to May as well.

Back