• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF Geo Cache / Poker run event (discussion)

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
So Dave and i were kicking around the idea of putting on some sort of Geo Cache / Poker run / offroad event at TSF. Not sure exactly how this would go down as the idea is still just an idea at this point. But basically my thinking is a timed event in which we would set up some Geo Caches throughout the TSF / BrownsCamp area. In between these there would be a few check points with a game or challenge of some sort. The course would cover as many trails as possible, but would have to be limited in order to complete before sundown. Anyway you get the general idea...

My questions are these:

1. Do we go for the gusto and ask for National approval and make this an open event put on by NAXJA ? meaning we run the event and envite folks from any and all local clubs to come participate. This might be a good way of getting the club name on the map.

2. Who would be interested in helping put this together and work a check point ? even a small event would take more than a cpl guys to put together and run the checkpoints etc... (please understand that helping out with this would mean you cannot participate in the event)

3. This could be a great way to give something back to the TSF OHV Program. If we charged a small entry fee of maybe $20.00 or $30.00 to go towards a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place trophy and then donate the rest to ODF. If you were to participate does this sound reasonable ?

other thoughts ? suggestions ? Questions ?

Like i said this was just a brain fart Dave and i were kicking around, so nothing is set up. I am simply gauging interest etc...

:cheers: Mojo

Wow, deja vu for me. I almost made a post about an event like this too after all the Geocache discussion.

My idea was placing several Geocaches around TSF. In each cache there would be a stack of envelopes containing a card. Pick up an envelope and move on to the next cache. When you find all the caches head back to camp and turn in your hand. Best hands win prizes. This could be a solo event or team challenge too.

I believe in order to host an official event with ODF, your club has to put in X amount of volunteer hours (clean-ups, work parties, etc). That's what I heard at one of the clean-ups.

If it turns out to be too much work, we could always just do an official NWC NAXJA run. There was talk about having a TSF event. What better way to get people to come than offering prizes.

I was going to send Stephanie or Jahmaal of ODF an email this week asking about trail adoption. I could also ask about hosting an event?

this sounds like a fun event. after last trip i went looking and found like 35 of them in my spit in the bucket of a town.

Wow, deja vu for me. I almost made a post about an event like this too after all the Geocache discussion.

My idea was placing several Geocaches around TSF. In each cache there would be a stack of envelopes containing a card. Pick up an envelope and move on to the next cache. When you find all the caches head back to camp and turn in your hand. Best hands win prizes. This could be a solo event or team challenge too.

I believe in order to host an official event with ODF, your club has to put in X amount of volunteer hours (clean-ups, work parties, etc). That's what I heard at one of the clean-ups.

If it turns out to be too much work, we could always just do an official NWC NAXJA run. There was talk about having a TSF event. What better way to get people to come than offering prizes.

I was going to send Stephanie or Jahmaal of ODF an email this week asking about trail adoption. I could also ask about hosting an event?

i like the sounds of this idea better... more simple and stright forward for the compedtiors. the only thing i think would be weird is. if we mayd the dificult caches partialy rated in "trail difuculty" and the prizes for thoes were good ones.it would take a built rig. chances are he has lots of mods to get the caches anyway. The little guy may not benifit from theese.

Classes maby?

sounds hella fun
BronzeWyrm

i like the sounds of this idea better... more simple and stright forward for the compedtiors. the only thing i think would be weird is. if we mayd the dificult caches partialy rated in "trail difuculty" and the prizes for thoes were good ones.it would take a built rig. chances are he has lots of mods to get the caches anyway. The little guy may not benifit from theese.

Classes maby?

sounds hella fun
BronzeWyrm

Park and walk. :D

In some situations it may be faster.

I am totally interested. I would even be willing to sit it out and help set it up and put it on.

Dustin - was Jahmaal at the clean up on saturday? He is good people. We ran into him on airplane hill on labor day run. He was talking about how they would like to get enough club support so they could maintain the trails enouch to not have seasonal closures. Which I think would be awesome.

deffinately ask both questions Dustin. we could always start with a smaller event like you suggested and then if the support and interest is there maybe step it up to a larger event ?

My only fear is if there are only 5 or 6 of us interested or with GPS devices.... Dave and i set it up, that leaves 3 or 4 people to compete, assuming the usuall 1 or 2 people drop out.... that leaves Dustin running around the mountains by himself, lol :rolleyes:

let us know what ODF says on both questions Dustin, and everyone keep the ideas coming. I'd really like to see this one come to life !

Dustin, first off, it was good meeting you on Sat. and thanks for letting me ride shotty!
Secondly, my club is already working on an event like this, and we are planning on running it next year. Would you be interested in maybe partnering up on this deal?

i assume you mean kind of like this Dustin . . . ?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=985609

Rod,
This had been done for years up untill just a few years ago, It was called TTC (Team Trophy Challenge). The Timber Tamers have created a similar event here in Washington (TTC-W).

These events take TONS of people, money, time, effort, coordination, etc, etc, etc. Putting a small "club" run together more similar to what Dustin suggested could be done with just a few people and could be designed to fit the amount of interest you get.

Personally, I think that Dustin's idea or similar is an excellent idea to do as a club and is an excellent learning experience for everyone involved. I also think that we should talk about putting several more NAXJA "teams" together for TTC-W or another TTC Oregon (if it happens again). Maybe even with a little support from the "club".

Michael

Rod,
This had been done for years up untill just a few years ago, It was called TTC (Team Trophy Challenge). The Timber Tamers have created a similar event here in Washington (TTC-W).

These events take TONS of people, money, time, effort, coordination, etc, etc, etc. Putting a small "club" run together more similar to what Dustin suggested could be done with just a few people and could be designed to fit the amount of interest you get.

Personally, I think that Dustin's idea or similar is an excellent idea to do as a club and is an excellent learning experience for everyone involved. I also think that we should talk about putting several more NAXJA "teams" together for TTC-W or another TTC Oregon (if it happens again). Maybe even with a little support from the "club".

Michael

Michael, although i am VERY interested in the TTC (Dustin, next year ?) . . . that is no where near what i was suggesting as far as challenges etc...

I'd be interested in helping out on the admin side of things. I've hidden a number of Geocaches over the years and my Jeep probably isn't up to running a bunch of trails

Also, might consider making an official Geocaching event. That way you might get Geocachers who don't belong to any 4x4 group involved...

i assume you mean kind of like this Dustin . . . ?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=985609

I knew the IC put on a Geocache event, but I didn't know they stole my idea. :D

I hear you though on needing a good turnout for this to work. I'll try and get an email out tomorrow, and see whats involved in hosting an "official" event. I think it would be cool if we could get multiple clubs to participate.

motornoggin said:
Dustin, first off, it was good meeting you on Sat. and thanks for letting me ride shotty!
Secondly, my club is already working on an event like this, and we are planning on running it next year. Would you be interested in maybe partnering up on this deal?

No problem, thanks for letting me tag along all day.

PM myself or mojojojo about what you guys have planned. I know Raven is a little more involved with ODF than NAXJA, so it might be beneficial to partner up.

Michael, although i am VERY interested in the TTC (Dustin, next year ?) . . .

Ummm... :scared:

Items broke, bent or replaced at TTC
1 Brake line
1 Front shock mount
1 Front locker
1 Ring and pinion
2 unit bearings
1 set of wheels/tires
2 u-joints
2 stub shafts
1 mirror
and a little sheet metal

Seriously though, I think I would be up for it next year. Someone's got to bring home first place for the NWC. :D

I have always thought the more people, the better. As long as they are the right people. :cheers:

Maybe we should have a Meet N Greet soon to chat about it?

I might be interested in participating and/or helping out. I've produced many events over the past 15+ years and it's somtimes hard to get the "right" people involved to make it happen (event coordination). Keep us posted.

Ummm... :scared:

Seriously though, I think I would be up for it next year. Someone's got to bring home first place for the NWC. :D

I seriously wouldn't worry about the damage we sustained. Most was easily preventable. We were just Gettin It. Last time we took ZERO damage and brought home a 2nd place.

If you guys want to set up a team. I am sure we could help you get going in the right direction.

I would really like to see 3 NAXJA teams next year. I guarantee you will love it. Most fun I have ever had wheeling, and I am just a navigator. You will feel/be a more confident wheeler.

Mojojo: sounds like a great idea. I like Dustin's twist on it. But like was said before, it would take a lot of man power. And the Timber Tamers already have it set-up. Maybe come out and compete, then see if you want to make a official event out of it.

What about a TSD (Time, speed, distance) rally?

BTW where is NWFest this year? TSF? Liberty?

I am just the God of navigators.

Fixteded it for ya:worship:

Michael

PS. As Hans said we would be more than willing to provide as much insight and tips as we can. We would be proud to take second behind you, but don't count on it :nono:

PS. As Hans said we would be more than willing to provide as much insight and tips as you can afford. .

Now we won't tell you everything. just enough to get you through TTC

Rod, I think you are talking about more of a Geocache poker run? The challenges would be more like a bean bag toss or three legged race? Not the damage inducing Moon Rocks excursion that is so fresh in my mind...:cheers:

I think that a simple run where you go out and bring in a card from each way point and the highest hand wins is a great idea. The 4x4 aspect means that there needs to be two rigs together at all times for safety reasons. Having the two rigs together kind of reduces the number of participants unless you treat each rig as a seperate card hand.

I would set it up so that there are two card hands in play. One for getting to the location and a second for successfully completeing a challenge. So the number of locations would be limited to 5 or possibly 7 for the purposes of a poker hand.

BTW: the participants don't get an actual card at the waypoints, they just get a number 1 - 52 which is tied to prenumbered decks at the end. Technincally doing it that way eliminates the need for a worker at the way points unless there is a challenge that needs to be observed and graded. Challenges can be of the written sort with answers turned in at the end instead.

Back