• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 xj turns over but wont start.

jeeper89

NAXJA Forum User
ok here is the rundown 1998 xj, 4.0 motor
went camping all is running well, next morning(today) went to start it up and nothing, got a jump start, drove into town, engine was running a little rough, check the motor and it was running at 19volts. turned off the jeep, and again nothing. got another jump start, still running at 19 volts, turned some of the acc. on(a/c) droped to 14 volts for a minute. drove home and replace the battery.

now, the motor will turn over, but will not start. we have check all the fuses, pulled the Crank position sensor(cleaned an re-installed) and still not starting. the wierd part is all the gauges wont work now. lights come on, but no other gauge works. tried spraying some starting fluid in the TB and it would almost fire up but will not run.

almost to the point where i have to tow it to the dealership but i dont really want to.

any ideas?

....now, the motor will turn over, but will not start. we have check all the fuses, pulled the Crank position sensor(cleaned an re-installed) and still not starting. the wierd part is all the gauges wont work now. lights come on, but no other gauge works. ?

Check all the fuses in the fuse box, and the PDC under the hood. Also, remove the plastic trim from the interior fuse box and inspect/clean the contacts on the relays above the fuse box.

I have had both situations cause the symptoms you describes. An unmarked fuse in the PDC and a dirty relay plug.

If you still have a no-start, test the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Back