• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Degreaser (What should I keep dry?)

I just bought a 2000 XJ with the 4.0. The engine compartment is pretty nasty, so I want to use GUNK's Engine Brite Degreaser. But I wanted to know what engine or electrical components I need to keep protected before spraying. Any suggestions?

Tough call. Don't use high pressure water to rinse.

TPS, CPS/CKP, distributor, C101 bulkhead connector are the biggies.

Tough call. Don't use high pressure water to rinse.

TPS, CPS/CKP, distributor, C101 bulkhead connector are the biggies.

In my experience, the CKP doesn't seem to have too much trouble getting wet.

Spot-clean the dizzy and throttle body first using carburettor cleaner. Allow them to dry, then cover with plastic. Clean the rest of the engine using cleaner of choice and nothing stronger than your garden hose with a "power nozzle" or a "water broom" on it (a "power nozzle" is the nozzle with a 1/4" or so round hole in the end. A "water broom" gives a flat, fan-shaped spray pattern.) The use of a power washer is not recommended on engines in general - too much electronics to keep dry.

I do not believe your 2K has the C101 bulkhead connector - that was an AMC thing.

Keep the ECU/PCM and Throttle Body very dry. Only run the water as it comes out of the hose to rinse the engine compartment, do not spray.

I have a 98 and just did the same thing. I just sprayed the degreaser on the worst parts, like the block, and tried to stay away from the intake. When I sprayed it off I used an electric pressure washer. I just tried not to spray the distribuitor or anything directly. After I was finished it started right up. It may have been dumb luck, but I don't think you will have any problem.

I use Castrol SuperClean. I have a hot water hose in my garage with a sprayer nozzle. Stay away from the TPS. If you get the distributor wet, all you have to do is take it apart and dry it. The TPS getting water inside is terminal.

Thanks guys, I mainly used the degreaser on the heavy stuff and sprayed ArmorAll on the rest. I used a power washer, but I turned down the pressure and opened a wide fan-like pattern on the nozzle. No problems, everything started up. I never did find my distributor???? I'm more familiar with diesels then I am gasoline engines……. Sorry for my ignorance, but if someone can post a pic of the distributor, then maybe I will be better informed next time. I tried to locate and follow the plug wires, but I guess my XJ uses coil packs instead of plug wires. Also, does anyone want to explain why it's important to cover up the throttle body? I don’t see how water could leak into it, unless if I took off the air intake. Again, I apologize for my ignorance, but I really love my XJ and I want to learn my vehicle.

I don't know all of the details, but the main thing around the throttle body is the TPS (throttle position sensor). The bastards seem to be a main suspect when lots of different erratic behaviors pop up (or so I've read).

but if someone can post a pic of the distributor, then maybe I will be better informed next time. I tried to locate and follow the plug wires, but I guess my XJ uses coil packs instead of plug wires.
Pass. side of engine, basically between a/c compressor and oil filter.
dist.gif

If you've got coil packs, then you probably won't see a distributor.

Edit: not my heep in pic btw

You won't have a distributor since you have a 2000 so you don't have to worry about that. Keep away from the throttle body, the power distribution center (fuse box), the battery and the PCM and you should be good.

I start mine early in the morning of a sunny day, park it facing south, start it up and let it run for a couple of minutes just to warm up the block, not get it hot. I then spray with whatever is on hand, Fantastic, 409, etc. I also use a stiff round parts brush as I go along getting at the tough areas. Then I rinse it off with the hose, low power, actually I use one of those on/off things with the ball valve in it, no nozzle. I then repeat as needed for any spots I missed. I actually scrub and rinse as I go. Once I get it clean the way I want it I go do something else for 8 or so hours and let the sun dry it out.

One thing I am curious about is how those $#$#$ acorns keep ending up on my intake manifold, only thing I can figure is there is a squirrel that likes toasted nuts and if I catch him I'll toast his nuts good...

Back