• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help replacing the radiator

danny Benavidez

NAXJA Forum User
I need same help replacing the radiator.
Jeep XJ 2001 I6 4x4

Replacing it looks easy to do but what about the thansmission lines how did not get air in to the system when I swap in the new radiator ? I have heard that if air gets into the cooling lines it will kill my thansmisson is this true ?

I'm thinking of getting a new one from www.radiatorbarn.com they have two types in stock a 2-row for $156 and a 3-row $167 both are listed as "all metal" I'm guessing they mean both are make from copper and brass with no plastic.

getting some air in the trans lines will not kill it. just make sure that the fluid level is ok after your done. and yes, the all metal radiator is copper and brass with no plastic (unlike our stock radiator with the plasic tanks).

If the stock radiator is 1-row. Than a 2 or 3 row is better. And the 3 row is only $10 more. Why would i want a 2 row ?

And were can I get performance water holes ?

Last edited:
If the stock radiator is 1-row. Than a 2 or 3 row is better. And the 3 row is only $10 more. Why would i want a 2 row ?

And were can I get performance water holes ?

Clearance between the radiator and the mechanical fan clutch can be an issue, with the three row. Some fan clutches have less clearance than others.
Old motor mounts and some moderate dirt roading destroyed my fan shroud. Radiators are expensive.
Not a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind.

I'm going to go with the 2-row
I already got the front end apart and the radiator is loss from the jeep
I talked to some auto repair shops and thay said to burp the thans line
but I do not know how do I burp out the air in the thansmission cooling line ?
Can any one heklp me with this part ?

Burping the transmission line. :gag: That is a good one. Go ask those guys if they sell muffler bearings or blinker fluid. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about the transmission line, just check the tranny fluid, hot, per the dip stick instructions to see if you need to add a cup or two of fluid after your all done. If the Tranny was properly filled before, you might need to add a half pint to replace what was in the lines and cooler inside the old radiator. But drive it, get it hot, before checking the T-fluid level.

Burp it, LOL.:roflmao:

If you don't burp it, it just gets farted back into the tranny pan. I've never worried about the air in the cooler lines and never had any issues.

I don't mean to hijack your post but this is a similar issue!
I just received a 2 core CSF radiator from radiator barn. Looks like the bottom oil cooler line is different than my stock hose. The new radiator has a tube that takes a hose and clamp instead of the oem hose fitting screwing into the radiator. Does anyone have any suggestions for mixing and matching the fittings. I hate to cut up an good oem hose for an aftermarket radiator.

Back