• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arm kit shock choice

SOCALXJER

NAXJA Forum User
I will be installing a long arm kit as my old lift is in dire straits.
I have 5.5 inchs of lift right now but will I need longer shocks
with the y link upgrade? :helpme:

Not if your not changing the lift height and your current shocks are properly sized!

however, you may run into problems if you gain more travel, which is a possibility with long arms.
I went from 8" travel OME's to 14" travel Bilsteins when I installed the Y-link upgrade.

see thats what I was thinking! I had it planned to run 10 travel bilsteins front and rear now Idon't know so you went from 8.0 inch travel to 14.0 inch travel
just by installing the y link? wow I'm confused hey but thanks this is something to consider.

I put a RK 3 link on the front and the shocks I had on my short arm kit were really holding me back, The setup flexed so much better with longer shocks, night and day difference. Take a look at the bilstein 7100s 14" shortbody shocks, They say that they are strong enough that you dont need to run limit straps. And rebuildable. I went with the 5150s and wish I spent the extra money on the 7100s

They say that they are strong enough that you dont need to run limit straps.

this does not mean that you shouldnt run the limit straps! if you like your equipment dont abuse it!

Hmm.. So I'm looking at the
RE6300 - XJ 5.5" EXTREME-DUTY LONG ARM

from Rubicon express which don't come with shocks. They recommend (of course) there own brand mono tube shocks. Should I try out something else, or stick with them?

((also do I need anything else with this lift kit ))

Back