• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FORD 8.8 bent??

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
Hey guys my 88 has a 4.5 lift mix of parts, 4:10's and 33's . Put a 99 Explorer in the back and had the welding done at a shop, not 4x4 shop, welder. We discussed welding the perches a little at a time. Anyhow. installed it and got a rub at the left rear. Looked like the axle shaft was bent. replace and all seemed okay. Now it seems as the rt Rear may be a little bent possibly. Question is how can I tell if the rear axle hoousing is bent??? and if so can I straighten it? or do I need a new axle? I got this one for 100 bucks and they have all gone up since then. No it hasn't been beat on severely since installed, just my woods, no rocks. TIA John

Last edited:
Well the best way is to strip the axles out and run a Align-bore gauge down the tubes.Other than that youll just have to get a good straight edge and "mic" it from the outside.

An alignment shop could probably tell you if the housing is bent. If it is there will be alot of wear on the wheel bearing. It takes quite a force to bend an axle housing. Is the wheel wobbling at all when it rotates? How does the tire wear look on that tire? What was the tire rubbing on?

yea looks like it wobbles, tire wear not really bad, but I don't drive this as a primary. An Alignment may be good. I thought about a long level

Check to see if it's just the axle shaft that's bent. Jack the rear up and take the wheels off, take the drums off and run it to see if the axle flange has any wobble. If it does then you may just need an axle shaft.

I believe the shaft is bent but looking for a reason why. Thanks, John
It may have experienced a side load at some time that was enough to bend it. The axle being a little warped should not bend the shaft, it would cause the wheel bearings and seals to start failing as well as the brakes to do bad things..

A wobble will be caused by a bent wheel or axle shaft which could be caused by overloading, jumping or sliding into a curb.
To check for a bent housing address the wobble first, then install 2 15" wheels without tires onto the axle, measure from the left to right wheel outside edges with a tape measure at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions, you shouldn't have more than 1/8 inch variation. Then measure also at the 3 and 9 positions. If your out of spec an axle shop may be able to help to straighten it.

Back