• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weak brakes - help

Ramairuss

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 XJ with 4.5 lift and 33s. I'm having braking issues. Normal street driving they work ok; I mean if I had to cram on them it would be more like stopping on a dinner plate instead of a dime. It's off roading where they seem to loose performance. They are not strong enough to hold the jeep on steep angles forward or back. And going down steep grades is scary. The pedal is not spongy and pumping them doesn’t help. I got new pads and no leaks. The fluid is new and bled thoroughly. The rotors and drums are in pretty good shape. Here is a little tid-bit – when I first start off from sitting for a while (days) the brakes actually grab hard for the first couple stops. I’m thinking vacuum or brake booster?

I'm thinking master cylinder or the Booster or soft brake lines. At least for the off-road issues. The ZJ Disc conversion might be the answer for on the street.

Upgrade your brake booster and master cylinder.

Plenty of write ups on here.

Upgrade your brake booster and master cylinder.

Plenty of write ups on here.

X2 I did that a while back. Much better than stock. It replaces your single diaphram with a dual diaphram booster, and a better master. My next upgrade after the D44 I am getting will be to put disc's on the rear...

the grabbing after not being driven after a few days is just a bit of rust on the rotors. Normal, all vehicles do it.

Look into a booster swap, possibly rear disks if you want to. But first check and make sure your rear drums are correctly adjusted. It is amazing the difference that having the drums not grab will do. And most of your pedal feel comes from the drums anyway.

Back