• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick 'n' dirty spacer installation tips?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

What's the quickest and easiest way to install a set of coil spacers on the front? I was told that I basically just need to disconnect the track bar and sway bar links from the axle, as well as the bottoms of the shocks, and slowly drop it with a jack (with the vehicle itself supported by jack stands). Is this accurate? Other guides I've seen talk about pulling the tie rod off, which I'm really not too keen on nor do I think it's necessary.

Any tips! Thanks in advance!

BTW, this is because I finally picked up a set of Moabs w/ MT/Rs yesterday :D

moabs.jpg

Yes that should be all you have to do. You may need to pull the lower control arm bolts to get it to drop that much more. Or simply rent a spring compressor but it shouldn't be needed...

As said above the spring compressor isn't necessarily needed but it will really help. If I were you I'd jack up the front of the jeep and put jack stands under your frame allowing your axle to droop all the way. Unbolt the retaining clips holding your springs and use a spring compressor and slide the spacers in. Unbolting the control arms will give you more droop making it possible without a spring compressor but I would just rent the compressor.

otc clamshell compressor, Remove front wheels, removed lower shock mount, swap coils with compressor, reverse. By far the quickest way I have found doing them. We just did my cousins with a 2 inch shackle and coils in just over an hour.

my quickest way involved renting a set of strut compressors (not spring compressors) from AZ. Got the Jeep jacked up, wheels off, lower shock bolts undone, same with sway links. Jack under one side and crank it up until it compresses the spring with the jeep's weight. Put the compressor on then let up on the jack and put it on the other side. This will make the side with the compressed spring come way down and you should be able to remove the spring and get your spacer in there. I did not unbolt anything else.

Unbolt the LCA from the axle, dissconnect the swaybars, and take the bottom shock bolts off. Then get a Jack on the oppisite side you want to put the spacer in and jack it up till you can slide the spring out. Put the spacer in and reverse.

Back