• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Venting hot air out thru the cowl?

Onetype

NAXJA Forum User
I've been toying with the idea of whether or not to add hood vents to my jeep lately. No I dont have problems with overheating. I've already had issues with the crank case vent tubes becoming brittle along with other hoses so I want to keep the engine bay a lil cooler. I was thinking about ways to do that w/o the obvious hood vents. Has anyone ever thought about just cutting 2 good size holes in the firewall going into the cowl area, one on the pass one on the drivers side. Im not sure if air would want to escape through there or not since its not directly above the motor. Im sure you could put some tubing to try and direct it up maybe. Crazy idea?

typically the cowl is a high pressure area... good for putting air into the motor, not good for removing air from under the hood.

depending when your trying to do the cooling, you could hook up some 3" computer fans (or something like them) to push air out of the holes into the cowl. would be good at lower speeds (like the trail) when most overheating would be occurring.

The cowl is where the HVAC intake is. You'll be getting all that hot air in the cabin. It won't get sucked out of the vents because that's a high pressure spot

The cowl is where the HVAC intake is. You'll be getting all that hot air in the cabin. It won't get sucked out of the vents because that's a high pressure spot

And fumes, we all know how the manifolds like to crack. Plus all of the smoke from the leaking engine oil that we all have.

Back