• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case studs

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping in a new xfer case this weekend and the one I bought is missing one stud, I have a cracked case I can pull a good stud from. Is there a good technique for removing the one from the cracked case without jacking up all the threads?

You're better off tightening two nuts together, and turning it that way.

Turn one nut well onto the stud (the other one should thread all the way on as well, leaving at least two threads exposed past the side of the nut.)

Use two wrenches to tighten the nuts against each other.

Use the nut closest to the case to remove the stud. Leave the nuts in place.

Use the nut closest to the end of the stud to install the stud in the new tcase. The use of LocTite (#242) is advised.

Use two wrenches to loosen the nuts away from each other.

Remove the nuts.

The nuts you need should be 3/8"-24.

You're better off tightening two nuts together, and turning it that way.

Turn one nut well onto the stud (the other one should thread all the way on as well, leaving at least two threads exposed past the side of the nut.)

Use two wrenches to tighten the nuts against each other.

Use the nut closest to the case to remove the stud. Leave the nuts in place.

Use the nut closest to the end of the stud to install the stud in the new tcase. The use of LocTite (#242) is advised.

Use two wrenches to loosen the nuts away from each other.

Remove the nuts.

The nuts you need should be 3/8"-24.

so are the studs left hand threaded into the case?

No, they're conventional right-hand thread.

Might I ask how you got that idea? I know I'll usually tell you outright if you can expect a left-hand thread on something - it's one of those pitfalls that I've probably fallen into, and therefore try to keep everyone else out of...

No, they're conventional right-hand thread.

Might I ask how you got that idea? I know I'll usually tell you outright if you can expect a left-hand thread on something - it's one of those pitfalls that I've probably fallen into, and therefore try to keep everyone else out of...

I was just visualizing the what I would need to do, I can't start a project without. Knowing for sure left or right hand thread helps me a lot before I start.

I was just visualizing the what I would need to do, I can't start a project without. Knowing for sure left or right hand thread helps me a lot before I start.

No worries, I just wanted to make sure. As I said - if I know there's something odd about the job, I'll be sure to tell you as well! I try to help people learn from my mistakes...

No worries, I just wanted to make sure. As I said - if I know there's something odd about the job, I'll be sure to tell you as well! I try to help people learn from my mistakes...

thanks for the info.

The studs have dual threads(3/8"-16 and 3/8"-24) and can be bought at ACE hardware.

3/8 - 16 in the tcase?

Correct - SAE threads into castings are generall coarse, while SAE threads into nuts are generally fine. There are sound engineering reasons for doing so (the manifold studs are similar - 3/8-16UNC into the head casting, and 3/8-24UNF for the nut.)

However, in either case the stud may be replaced with 3/8"-16 along the entire length - while there are sound engineering reasons for using the two threads, there's not that much stress on the studs in these applications.

Back