• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 27 to 29 sp

flyingbrick

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i tried searching, but to no avail. It would make sense that if you had a 27sp 8.25 and got a 29sp aussie and a set of 29sp 8.25 shafts you could convert it to a 29sp, i read somewhere that the carrier has splines cut into it, but that doesn't make any sense, because how would the differential do its job if the carrier was splined? it would act as a full spool. so my question boils down to: are the 27 and 29sp 8.25 carriers physically a different size? and would an aussie be necessary or could i just swap spiders?
sorry about the newb question but i can't find any good info on this
apparently you can't just type in any combination of 8.25, 27sp, or 29sp and get results in search...

The 27-spline and 29-spline shafts have different diameters, therefore different carriers. People have modded their 27-spline carriers to work, but it's probably easier to find a 29-spline carrier.

People have modded their 27-spline carriers to work, but it's probably easier to find a 29-spline carrier.

Never heard of that one,you need the axles,carrier, and spiders(or a 29 spline locker) to do the swap

Never heard of anyone modding the carrier of a 27 spline 8.25 to fit 29 spline side gears? If you have a machine shop at your disposal then it would be worthwhile I guess.

You will need a 29 spline carrier w/side-spider gears and shafts.

Back